PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best deal on ballast?

aaroncat
02-23-2010, 03:05 AM
I'm looking to supplement the G3 1200 lbs with another 800lbs or so. I have looked at a bunch of different options and the best value (as far as $$ vs weight) I've come across is the pair of W701's shown here (http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-v-drive-sacs.html) for $199.95.

Im planning on distributing the additional 2 bags in the boat on the surf side cabin seat and surf side bow seat (well, as best I can, most likely diagonally positioned up front) while the rest of the 1200lbs is filled.

Does anyone know where I can get these cheaper or a better value alternative?

Also, has anyone used these sacs on seats? I realize that they are conventionally used in the v-drive lockers.

brain_rinse
02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd swap the rears for 750s and reuse the 400s elsewhere. Or sell them to offset the cost.

mmandley
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I am actualy getting ready to post my 2 extra 400lb bags for sale. They will come with the fitting in the fill and drain slots.

Got several items i am going to post up for sale tonight i think.

Bags,
Stereo
Amps
Sub woofer/ box combo.

aaroncat
02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
I am actualy getting ready to post my 2 extra 400lb bags for sale. They will come with the fitting in the fill and drain slots.

Got several items i am going to post up for sale tonight i think.

Bags,
Stereo
Amps
Sub woofer/ box combo.

Which fittings (http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-fittings?limit=all)are you talking about? The ones that will work with the Tsunami? Are these are the 16x16x42 bags?

aaroncat
02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
brain rinse is right Aaron.

Keep your 450 lb sacs to use on your seats, and get a pair of 750's for the rear corners.

That price I posted will be hard to beat.

You will need to order the proper fittings for your hoses.

You need 1" for the fill/empty and 3/4" for the vent.

Hey Ed,

Are you sure the rear sacks are 450lbs? My sacs are 12x20x48 and I used this (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/subsection1_4_2_0_7.html) page to come to a weight of approximately 416lbs each with the front coming it at 398lbs.

I am definitely considering swapping out the 400's with 750's and your link is definitely the lowest price I've seen on the 750. Cheers!

aaroncat
02-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Also, I remember reading about the fittings being initially glued on. Is it easy enough to swap out fittings from one set of bags to another?
Has anyone had to remove fittings that were glued?
Is it safe enough to just rely on screwing the fittings on or should they be glued on?

aaroncat
02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
yep. Our system is 450 lbs in the corners and 300 in the front (nominal amounts).

I glued my fittings in with PVC cement. I recomend it

The fill/empty fitting kept blowing out of one of the 750 lb bags. That really puts a lot of water into your engine compartment!

Some glued fittings are easy to break loose, some arent.

I would just get caps for your existing fittings and keep the 450's in stock condition.

I actually still use mine pretty frequently.

But if I want to use the 450's on the seats wont I need to pull the current fittings out, plug all of them except one and then use one of these (http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w730.html) so the tsunami will plug in?

aaroncat
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Nope. Just make caps for the existing fittings.

One of THOSE comes with each or your new sacs (at least mine did)

you just have to make sure to get the 3/4" fitting for the vent and 1" for the fill/drain for each new sac

Ed,

If I order the 750lb bags from WakeMakers they come with 2 plugs and 1 quick connect for the tsunami pump each. Won't I be able to just swap the fittings from my 450lb bags with the 750lb bags? Then I'm good to go with the 750's in the rear using the stock jabsco and the 450's in the boat using the tsunami.

Cheers,
Aaron

mmandley
02-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Make sure WM is giving you those fittings. I bought my 2 750s from AWS and Wake Makers now run there office out of this location and my bags only came with 1 plug. The other 2 openings had no connections so people can buy the exact item them need

aaroncat
02-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Woah! The WakeMakers store is AWS????

mmandley
02-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Yes sir if you call AWS Oregon City and ask for Spencer or Wake Makers they transfer you to his office. He has a good size room in the retail area right above Brad's office. < service manager >

Razzman
02-25-2010, 12:02 AM
So i was shopping for 750's today for a buddy and it looks like everyone sells them for $149 now, even Flyhigh themselves lists them for that.

newty
02-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Razz the key is shipping costs. Most shops charge a bunch for shipping. Eds link has free shipping.

aaroncat
02-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately the site that Ed linked to only has 1 more bag left. I need 2. :(

jasonwm
02-25-2010, 01:46 PM
The price linked to above is the same price the Fat Sac will be at virtually every Fly High dealer, and lots offer free shipping (buying online will even save you sales tax).

The Fat Sacs you purchase will include one W730 Quick Twist Adapter and 2 W731 Bag Plugs, which you can use in you factory bags once you remove the Flow-Rite fittings.

Then you will just need to purchase two W743 fittings and two W736 fittings for your new rear bags to make everything plug and play (be aware that the factory six minute timers in your boat may not give you enough time to fill the new bigger bags in one cycle.

jasonwm
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Woah! The WakeMakers store is AWS????
Not exactly; Spencer is one of the founding partners in WakeMAKERS and he works at Active, so there's some cross over there.

I kinda doubt you'll be able to swap the fittings from your 450's. They are glued in and once removed, the threads probably can't be trusted.
Correct, the threads on the bag will be fine, but we do not recommend reusing the Flow-Rite Fittings that came out (often times they are damaged beyond use during the removal process anyway).

I have posted the instructions here before.
Email if you need a copy of the instructions, they are included with any order that we know is going in an '09 and newer boat.

Take your sacs with you to wakemakers and have them see if they can break your old fittings loose.
We offer this service free of charge (for anyone), you can even ship your bags to us if you would like and we'll remove the fittings and send them back. Contact anyone at the office and they can set it up for you.

I would imagine any local Fly High dealer would perform this service as well.

aaroncat
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, Aaron it's a direct swap from the 450's to the 750's, once you have the correct fittings.

I kinda doubt you'll be able to swap the fittings from your 450's. They are glued in and once removed, the threads probably can't be trusted.

As Jason points out, you will have to adjust the pump timers for the larger bags.

I have posted the instructions here before.

I think your new fill time will be around 7.5 minutes.

Take your sacs with you to wakemakers and have them see if they can break your old fittings loose.

Sounds like a plan :D <still searching for instructions on adjusting timers>

aaroncat
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Awesome, thanks Ed! Is it safe to do this out of the water?

aaroncat
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
yes. Your not running the pumps when you do this
I was a bit worried about the FILL-OFF-EMPTY-OFF- FILL-OFF-EMPTY-OFF-FILL in step 4.

aaroncat
02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
not to worry.

Doing the flipping back and forth, will cause the ballast control box to go into programming mode and the pump will not operate - at least it shouldn't operate :).

You have to do this procedure for each rear ballast control box.

I just tried it and the pump surely does operate on step 4 as I suspected. I'm hoping that for the amount of time it is running during this quick switching that it isnt dangerous.