PDA

View Full Version : unreasonable fear of flying seats?

skiyaker
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
we've had lots of discussion regarding the benefits of towing open vs covered and what covers to use etc... for me this will soon be a moot issue as my evolution cover is in transit. But it won't be here in time for this weekend which leads me to the question- is it an unreasonable fear to think that seats could blow out of my 2008 OBV at highway speeds? The logical side of me says A) the seats are tucked in pretty well and B) they don't "see" that much wind. But the worry wart side of me pictures a seat blowing out and causing a multi-car pileup on I-69. I could pull all the seats out and store them in the V drive compartment- but I need those compartments to hold all my gear on the way to the lake.

I see that some of you have added hinges to prevent this problem, but has anyone ever seen or heard of a seat actually blowing out of the boat?

Razzman
05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I've heard of seats blowing out "a boat" but not a Moomba. I tow all over at highway speeds averaging 65 and have never had a cushion even move. Last weekend was bad with winds up to 22-25mph, again nothing moved. If anything was going to move it would be the cooler pad or the one behind the drivers seat imo.

lancesaville
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
2nd that, I've towed from the shop to storage on the interstate quite a few times and still haven't lost even the cooler seat yet. Just make sure all the seat tops are pushed on properly and you should be fine short of tornado weather :)

Ian Brantford
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I just stow the one seat that has a gap under it where turbulence could pick it up. That's the XLV's double-duty seat (side bench in the optional cooler's spot, stadium seatback). The others are quite secure.

... and I never even did this for the first couple of years. It never budged.

moombadaze
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
ok, my 03 lsv--the bench seat over the vdrive cover would start to float in mid air around 65mph-I could see it in the rear view mirror of my truck-the new owners had it blow all the way out at 70mph on the freeway, they got it back after running back on the freeway to retrive it. It was banged up but the structure was still ok.

Now on my 08 lsv Ive had the seat cushion (behind the driver) lift up and come off the seat base-found it in the middle of the boat when I stopped for gas. I was doing about 80mph that time.

I took and velcro'd the seat cushions down-Takes some force to lift them up, I did have to staple the velcro to the bottom of the seat cushion as it would not stick.

So yes the cushions can blow out :mad:

But now I have the Evolution towing cover and dont worry about it

Razzman
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM

At 80mph ya think? :p :p

ian ashton
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
The cushions in my OB DD never move, but I usually tow with the bow cover on, and main cover off.

viking
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I towed all last summer uncovered and YES I have a lead foot and 80mph was not uncommon. However, no problems with seats growing wings thankfully :)

brain_rinse
05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I put double piano hinges on the cooler seat and the one behind the driver. Most of the reason was convenience but an unreasonable fear of flying seats helped sell me on the decision.

maxpower220
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I have several thousand miles of towing boats at highway speeds (70 mph) with no lost cushions. However, it wouldn't be unlikely for it to happen. Your tow vehicle shape and boat shape will determine the wind patterns. Also, passing traffic (think semi trucks) can affect wind patterns that may provide a low pressure point above your cushions causing them to elevate out of your boat.

Ian Brantford
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Those who had cushions move: did you do anything to block airflow through the bow? I use my XLV's pop-up bow seat to block most of it. I also tried using my bow cover once, but the nasty deformation that I saw in the mirror at modest speeds made me stop and remove it.

Jeff W
05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I tow on the freeway all the time.

Don't sweat it. It's a non-issue.

kaneboats
05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I store the one behind the driver's seat in the rear locker. None of the rest of them can really move.

sandm
05-28-2010, 04:32 PM
towed at 75 for 3 years and no issues yet.
as mentioned above, the truck and the windshield of the boat do a good job at keeping the air flowing around the boat.

gregski
04-08-2014, 11:38 PM
ok, my 03 lsv--the bench seat over the vdrive cover would start to float in mid air around 65mph-I could see it in the rear view mirror of my truck
<snip>
I too have seen the V-drive seat floating in mid-air. I just slide that seat up into the walkway to the bow with the open side up (on it's side/face) and it stays put there. All of my other cushions have stayed in place fine.

Woody929
04-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Nice thread revival! :-)

sandm
04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
somebody PWI....

rdlangston13
04-09-2014, 08:13 AM
When I was buying my boat I had the cooler seat cushion fly out on the way back from the test drive. We were able to back track and find it but it tore up the corners pretty good. I then added velco to the bottom of that seat as well as the one behind the drivers seat to hold them down. I was driving one other time after that and I guess the cooler seat was not strapped down good because it was levitating in the middle of the boat at around 65-70 mph.

mmandley
04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
This has become more of a problem now then it used to. With the new boats Mojo and Mondo and redo of the LSV the seats don't fit as tight.

Mojo rear seat is locked in by the grab handles, but all the other seats are loose and can come off easily.

The new Mondo with it's center rear removable seat is an easy candidate for flying seats.

I generally tow to my local water spots with no worry. Anytime I go longer distance or on the interstate I use my Evolution cover.

Shameless plug warning---this is why I got my evolution cover, so I can tow and bit worry about my interior. Also in OR rain can show up on short notice. Lastly I can put gear in the boat. and not worry about it

Cody
04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
When I had my Outback, I used Velcro under my seats to hold them down for this reason. Granted, mine was an 02' and I'm sure the newer boats cushions are my plush and snug.

Velcro was an easy fix for me.

parrothd
04-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe not boat seats, but I store tons of stuff(boards, wetsuits, towels, coolers, beer) in the boat for transport, all of which can fly out.. :)

marman
04-15-2014, 10:27 PM
I recently installed a couple of extra straps to hold down the two rear side seats in my mondo. They kept floating up since the factory straps allowed this. I only noticed this when I towed with my f150 that has a tonneau cover. I think it pushes air nicely over the back of the truck directly through the walkway.

JeffCook3
04-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Just had a friend who bought a 2013 Mojo and towered it from Dothan to Guntersville, lost his passenger seat in route. $150 bucks to replace. Not sure if he checked at the seat placement or not.

mcdye
04-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I recently installed a couple of extra straps to hold down the two rear side seats in my mondo. They kept floating up since the factory straps allowed this. I only noticed this when I towed with my f150 that has a tonneau cover. I think it pushes air nicely over the back of the truck directly through the walkway.

I towed a Mondo for my dealer, and noticed the same thing, the 2 rear corner floating seats. IMO they should have another strap OR did similar to the center cushion adding a back lip to it. I have no bed cover on a '08 CrewCab z71.