PDA

View Full Version : How a Exile system comes to be

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 08:31 AM
This is how it starts-a E-mail to Exile

We dont wakeboard ever and Im not interested in making the whole lake listen to my music.
We do surf and would like to hear some clean and clear music.

We have one battery at this time-possible upgrade to 2 if I really need to.

We dont sit playing music with the boat off for any length of time--maybe 5 songs.

What I have right now for equipment

the stock head unit--Kenwood KDCMP2035

I have 2 amps-one the boat came with--Kicker ZX200.4 thats powering the cabin speakers

I have another amp thats a Kenwood KAC-6201, now on the face of the amp it says " stereo bridgeable, 350w, maximum power". I have no idea what all that means

Looking for better cabin speakers, a sub and tower speakers-4 if possible(like what Ed G has a amp if needed. But if I can reuse either amp I would like to

I do like to feel a little bass but not looking to shake the boat at this time.

Is this possible?

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Haha. You crack me up. Ok. Let me do some figuring ok? You’re coming to the dark side! muahaha

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Tower –
SXT65’s fixed mount2 pair (everyone should fill up their tower just because!)
Harpoon amp.

Sub
SX12D 400W 2 ohm DVC woofer
Kenwood KAC-6201 running bridged Mono at 350W (this is a good fit)
You build a simple sealed box on your own.

Cabin
SX65 cabin speakers all the way around
ZX200.4 powers them - budget is budget.

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
At Ed G's recomendation for a "sound investment" I also ordered the Kicker dual zone audio controller.

Picked up a cheap sealed box as recomended and have so far ran upgraded speaker wires thru the tower as I wait for the UPS driver.

Working a little side project at the same time--tower lights

sandm
02-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I feel like this is a thread solely for daze to post in :)

congrats. you will like the outcome..

mmandley
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Yea i agree Sandm but at the same time hes excited and when your excited its realy hard to hold your lip closed LOL or his fingers still in this case. :cool:

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 02:00 PM
hey what ya guys doing posting in my thread :mad:

Sorry about that it was just easier to copy and paste that way.

Mmandley-plan to have your phone ringing off the hook soon ;)

kaneboats
02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Stacy, did you get one of these yet?

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
^^ Not yet but planning to have that also installed be for the Clermont minijam--dont want to end up with a dead battery

kaneboats
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Good!

This is the link to the best price I've ever seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Perko-8501DP-Marine-Battery-Selector/dp/B00144B6AE

rdlangston13
02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
now the whole "i hope they get our boxes mixed up" makes a little more sense!

Brianinpdx
02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
You know, there is a lesson to be learned from this. I cant tell you how many countless emails I receive about people wanting (or even just thinking about) upgrades to their system. They all want advice. And the questions are always different but along the same theme.

Some things to think about along the audio journey.

- Break your system down into zones. This makes the the individual areas easy to evaluate separately from each other. Often times when you do this, it becomes clear that one area is more dominant than the other. For example what good is a $2K tower setup, if your running your cabins off of deck power.

- My recommendatory advice is usually like this...

Cabins Make sure you get your stock speakers some power. Deck power is not a great thing. sometimes just re-powering what you already have can be a significant upgrade. It also gives you the opportunity to focus the crossovers to HP-highpass and limit the amount of low freq the cabins have to reproduce.

Sub - many boats dont have a factory sub setup and even if they do they are more often inadequate given the upgrades going on in other areas. You dont have to be a bass head to benefit from having a woofer. Remember, any subwoofer is going to give you almost an entire octave of sound that you cant reproduce without one.

Towers - I usually suggest making tower upgrades last, once the cabin setup is complete and a sub setup is in place. If you do the other way around, the tower seetup can become dominant very fast.

In the grand scheme of things, we are after dynamic range. When all the zones work together, this feat is achieved.

Just my 2 cents

-Brian
Exile Audio

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
gotta ask this-what the heck is a "octave of sound"?

Gotta love UPS and tracking numbers

Brianinpdx
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
cant beat this explanation..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave

The real point here is that it increases the reach, or the ability to reproduce a wider sound range by adding in the subwoofer to a system that has none.

Think about it.... remember the last time you listened to some sound system and it sound like a tin can? thats because its compressed. If one where to open or expand the reach of their speakers ---dedicating subs to lows, and mids to upper frequencies, you ultimately expand the dynamic range. And its a very pleasurable effect on the human ear.

-Brian
Exile Audio

moombadaze
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks, and thanks for not being to tech with the answer so I could understand

mmandley
02-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Mmandley-plan to have your phone ringing off the hook soon ;)

Np man ill be here to help how ever i can. That goes for anyone installing stereos or a lot of other upgrades to the boats.

I have upgraded a ton of stuff other then my stereo in my boat. Ill help how ever i can.

moombadaze
02-09-2011, 07:45 AM
What does it mean when you guys say "run the cabin speakers on high pass"?

mmandley
02-09-2011, 08:29 AM
What does it mean when you guys say "run the cabin speakers on high pass"?

On the Amps you have switches.

High Pass means only Mids and Tweets frequencies

Low Pass means only Bass Frequencies.

Think of a traffic cop when he says only Low signal may pass here.

You never want your cabin in FUll range < all frequencies > because you will literally beat them to death with bass. Car speakers are ran like this but they are very low wattage and stock systems were designed like that. Any higher end speaker will want a specific frequency.

This all goes back to the why you need a sub woofer in the boat conversations.

This also goes back to why you need a large sub woofer. Like in my boat i got so much power to my cabins i need a large sub to balance all that out and make it sound really musical. You can over sub a system just as easy as you can over tweet a system. My boat is all about balance. I want it to sound as good at 10 on my dial as it does at 30 shaking everyone. No one part of my stereo is over powered and its perfectly balanced sounding. Some people get that dreaded tweeter scream at super high volumes but i don't. While others have the bass from hell at low volumes. Well this all mean you need to balance the frequencies a bit better.

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I found this page of definitions on the Crutchfield site, link below, including this one. Not too technical while still explaining some of the terms and the concepts:

. . .
Built-in Crossovers
Crossovers consist of both a high-pass and low-pass filter. Often used to keep high-frequencies from reaching a subwoofer, a low-pass filter allows only frequencies below the crossover point to be amplified. A high-pass filter allows only frequencies above the crossover point to be amplified — useful for keeping low bass away from small speakers, so they can play more efficiently. Crossovers are usually listed as variable or selectable. Continuously Variable means the crossover can be freely adjusted to any frequency between the listed end points. Selectable means that you can choose from several preset crossover points.
. . .

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WngTD4mxT7Y/learn/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_glossary.html

The part I've been hammering on here for a while now is "useful for keeping low bass away from small speakers, so they can play more efficiently." Until you have the subwoofer you don't really have to worry about high pass or low pass. But, once you add it, you need to know this.

I guess my next question for the pros is what do you set your tower speakers on? Do you get enough lows from the subwoofer to keep them on high pass? Or does this really depend on your subwoofer? Or is there a hard and fast rule on this?

EarmarkMarine
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
kaneboats,
Your tower speakers, no matter what you have, are a comparatively big speaker in a small pod. This inordinately raises their resonance and increases there impedance so that the amplifier delivers less power as the frequency lowers. Also, at some point you will have other challenges that I guess you could say are more mechanical in nature. So withdrawaling from the technical for a moment let me use more of an analogy. As you accelerate the volume towards low frequencies there are certain electrical and mechanical factors that are simultaneously putting the brakes on the output. You are wasting valuable power by trying to push a speaker beyond its effective point. As you narrow the amplifier's bandwidth and narrow the tower speaker's responsibility the tower speaker will play louder, play cleaner and project farther. If you have a pair of WetSounds Pro485s then the point of diminishing return might be at 80 Hz. If you have a very small tower speaker in a very small pod then the best point might be 125 Hz. One speaker may have a sealed midbass cone while another may not and this is another determining factor. So each speaker and amplifier relationship is going to be different. You may tune a system according to a fixed prescription but not at a specific frequency. You can tell alot by ear.

David
Earmark Marine

EarmarkMarine
02-09-2011, 12:17 PM
On a slighty different note but relating to highpass crossovers here is something that I think is worth sharing. This relates to all fullrange speakers and particularly in-boat coaxials.
Most understand the benefits of using a highpass filter on a 6.5" coaxial even if you don't have a subwoofer. It protects the speaker and limits mechanical fatique to the spider among other things. There is no point in attempting to drive a speaker below its reproduction ability and a 6.5" coaxial cannot reproduce 50 Hz.
But here is what is so important from a sound quality standpoint. Half of all musical fundamentals occur between 200 and 600 Hz. This is the sole domain of the coaxials larger fullrange cone. In most automotive and marine coaxials the tweeter is mostly limited to harmonics which are important to percussion, small wind instruments and provides the pitch and nuances that shape the character of each instrument. But make no mistake about it, the content with the most contrast and variety is in the range of the midbass driver. And this critical range is just an octave above much of the subwoofer's main contribution. In many systems this happens to be the most ignored area in that many are more occupied with the "boom/sizzle". Also, many speakers do a terrible job in this area because its the most difficult. By using the highpass filter to remove much of the wasted and unnecessary excursion from the coaxial you will dramatically clean-up this critical musical range. This over-excursion smears the midrange content in a similar manner as a moving train changes the pitch of the train whistle as in Intermodulation Distortion.

David
Earmark Marine

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure what that last part said. It seems to be saying that the typical 6.5 coax can't really reproduce lows anyway so you are better off running them (whether in-boat or on the tower) on hi pass whether you have the subwoofer or not.

It makes me think that if you can adjust your cut off points you can do a better job of tuning whatever you have, i.e., certain model speakers will go a little lower than others. Thoughts?

EarmarkMarine
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
kaneboats,
It sounds like you have got a good handle on it.

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks. We appreciate your patience-- all of you guys. I have owned exactly 3 amps in my life, don't play any instrument and wasn't in the grade school band. It's like a foreign language but it does all make sense.

Next up I have to try (again) to learn about wiring speakers, amps, etc. I start getting lost with multiple speakers and the equations. I'll have to (and I assume Moombadaze too -- it's his thread!) run my setup by this forum once I think I have everything for this season in place.

rdlangston13
02-09-2011, 03:18 PM
so the exile SXT65 tower speakers, are those the same speaker at the exile in boat speaker just mounted inside a can?

EarmarkMarine
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Same Exile speaker in the tower coaxial and in-boat coaxial? Absolutely not!
The tower speaker has a larger basket/frame and more robust motor structure. The tower speaker has a bridge/grill mounted tweeter versus a post mounted tweeter and the tower speaker has a sealed and continuous midbass cone resulting in more surface area. I'd bet the passive crossover has an extra pole or two as well. So there is a large difference. Consider the difference in what the two are expected to do.

David
Earmark Marine

rdlangston13
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
yeah i figured there was a difference. the model numbers just seemed very similar so I wanted to make sure.

moombadaze
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks. We appreciate your patience-- all of you guys. I have owned exactly 3 amps in my life.

I have only had 2 amps, the one that came with this boat and one I won about 5 years ago and only hooked up last year.

Big thanks to all you guys who know what the heck your talking about even when it goes over my head :D

kaneboats
02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I think I've actually had 4. I forgot that I added tower speakers and a subwoofer to my last Moomba and installed a cheapo amp. I knew less then than I know now. Looking back I understand that I should have switched the towers to HP and putting the sealed box sub in the closed up passenger side storage space muffled it a lot. It had more "shake" than sound.

moombadaze
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
were learning more everyday-could be dangerous :p

rdlangston13
02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
im excited to recycle my kicker 4 channel that came with the boat for use in the truck once all my exile stuff arrives!

moombadaze
02-10-2011, 08:05 PM
The Kicker dual zone controller showed up on the front door today.

rdlangston13
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
i keep going back and forth with myself of just throwing down some cash for the WS420

kaneboats
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I know that feeling. Gotta know when to quit. It's tough once you decide to make a cnange to not go all out all at once.

EarmarkMarine
02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
You'll love all the benefits of the WetSounds EQ. Sure the Aux input, PA and boat link are cool. But the features that I appreciate the most are the dual zone equalizers, dual zone level controls, paragraphic sub control...and discrete six-channel high voltage preout. Best of all the control is placed at your fingertips.

David
Earmark Marine

jmvotto
02-10-2011, 11:29 PM
i keep going back and forth with myself of just throwing down some cash for the WS420

It's worth it... I love mine...

moombadaze
02-11-2011, 07:06 AM
I know that feeling. Gotta know when to quit. It's tough once you decide to make a cnange to not go all out all at once.

I hear ya on that-wish I could have gotten more, but that gives me something to do later

[quote=Ed G;124893
Didja order the extra phone cord with it?

Might as well run the cables and mount the controls while you wait for the Exile stuff

[/quote]

I did order the xtra cable-havent even opened the box yet

I will be running the cable this weekend for that and running the sub wire too.

kaneboats
02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Where did you get the dual zone conrol from?

11 Outback V
02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I got mine from Earmark

kaneboats
02-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I posted the pics 11 Outback V sent me on page 5 of this thread (lots of Exile stuff in his setup):

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?p=124915#post124915

saskyrider
02-11-2011, 05:13 PM
thats pretty funny moombadaze.... that's pretty much exactly how my inquiry into an Exile setup came to be... lol. I'm just waiting for the border guards to quit drooling over my stuff and let it continue on it's way!

geoff

moombadaze
02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Where did you get the dual zone conrol from?

Got it from Earmark

rdlangston13
02-12-2011, 01:24 AM
hell, after what i have already spent what is another 300 bucks or so?

moombadaze
02-12-2011, 06:38 PM
BOAT--no reason to say what it stands for, we all know :mad:

rdlangston13
02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
yeah but if it is what you enjoy then it is money well spent

moombadaze
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
I agree it is money well spent, but my dad would have something to say about it :mad:

package eta 2-18-11

rdlangston13
02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
my dad was happy i bought my boat. he gets to enjoy and doesnt have pay for it

schuylski
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
haha RD my dad was the same way! edit* but I do use his garage to store it along with everything else!

And this is my kind of audio thread... Like make this a sticky. I mean it looks like English instead of some foreign language. I usually don't wander in here cause I'm clueless and have no idea what you all are talking about - it all sounds like nonsense... But I think I actually understand a lot of this thread and now I'm adding on to my list...

i'll probably get a huge range, but like how much money do you need for decent audio upgrades without tower speakers?? Right now everything's stock. And I'm no audiophile... yet.

KG's Supra24
02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I'd say, thinking of specific components on each end of the spectrum ...

300 to 650 - 6 in boats and amp

You will also want a solid sub and amp solution with upgraded in boats.

rdlangston13
02-15-2011, 10:48 PM
i dont even want to say what i spent and i know there are people in here who even went crazier with this stuff than me.

mmandley
02-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Schuyski
Welcome man

Dont ever let these threads make you to scared to read and post man, Lots of us experienced peeps still read threads all the time that make you say WTF are they talking about LOL.

Stereos and price, you have as many options as price points. As always think of what your budget is then go from there.

My first stereo in the boat was less then 500 bucks.
KMT6 for the tower.
Kicker 700.5 cabins and sub
Kicker 450.2 to power the tower.

Then i added a L5 10 Kicker sub with box.
Upgraded the cabins to Polk 6512

Then i met Brain with Exile and i went balls deep and built one of the most expensive set ups you can do last year. Now this year im tearing almost all of it out and upgrading even more with more Exile stuff.

You have to be careful stereos are like cars man. You got the ones that play your stuff and get you around, then you got the more powerful ones that get you there in style and turn some heads, then you have the flat out WOW systems that make you drool or say gawd he spent how much on that crap? LOL

By all means man PM me or you can Email me ill be more then happy to answer any questions or help you in any way i can. I love to help people and i do a lot of 1 on 1 help for people on the forums when it comes to stereos and such. What i dont know ill get answer for you and what i do know ill give it to you straight. Just like almost any stereo freak on this forum will do.

moombadaze
02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
little work today

Mounted the Kicker dual zone controller
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0221.jpg

thought I would share how I snaked the wires thru the tower, used heavy weed wacker line with zip tie on the end and just pushed it thru, then would use a cut coat hanger to snag it and a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out, then just attach the speaker wire and pull. Little getto but worked and didnt have to buy anything to do it.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0260.jpg

Also got the sub speaker wire ran from amp to the drivers side.

kaneboats
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Nice. I have a bunch of that weekwacker line lying around. Never thought of using it. I usually use stripped romex or something for that kind of "fishing" work.

newty
02-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Great idea Daze!

cab13367
02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
I tape weed whacker line to fish tape and pulled my wires that way. My weed whacker line is too coiled up to push thru the tower all by itself.

For those that don't know what fish tape is, see pic below. Its basically coiled up flat steel line that is both stiff and flexible at the same time so it goes around corners but stiff enough to easily push thru whatever cavity you are working in. I've used it countless times for fishing wires thru walls in the house as well as for the boat stereo upgrades.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cxhxmxhjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

moombadaze
02-17-2011, 08:46 AM
^^^ wish I had that but I didnt, putting the zip tie on the end kept the weed wacker line just stiff enough to push it thru.

kaneboats
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I was wondering why you needed the zip tie.

dusty2221
02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
I know nothing about that Kicker Dual zone, but to me, that looks like 2 Pac LC1's. Correct me if I'm wrong please. If not, how is it different?

rdlangston13
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
moombadaze has your exile goody box arrived yet??

moombadaze
02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I know nothing about that Kicker Dual zone, but to me, that looks like 2 Pac LC1's. Correct me if I'm wrong please. If not, how is it different?

dusty--no idea what a Pac LC1 is myself. This controller is what Ed G recomended and Brian at Exile said would work.

moombadaze has your exile goody box arrived yet??

fed ex tracking shows on time delivery for tomorrow-friday. did you get yours yet? or better question did you get my box and im awaiting your box :p

wolfeman131
02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
You're doing this install all wrong!!!

I didn't see a single Yeungling in any of your pics.

rdlangston13
02-17-2011, 01:19 PM
I am not home so I have no idea, the fact that I have not received any notification from Bryan that is has been shipped yet leaves me to believe that it is not even on the way to my house.

EarmarkMarine
02-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Pertaining to the Pac LC-1 question raised above in the thread. There is a big difference between the Pac level control and the Kicker line amp/controller.
If your boat has the radio on the driver's side then the Pac is a decent option. Its simply a passive line level (RCA) controller. If the radio is on the port side then you would have to run long to and from RCA cables. The 15 to 17 feet per direction definitely results in signal loss. It will take two Pac units to provide dual zone controls (cabin and tower).
The Kicker is a dual zone (cabin and tower) line amplifier. It delivers considerably higher preamp voltage than your source unit and results in a lower noise floor and greater dynamic range. It will also compensate for the losses associated with the long RCA runs when applicable (like the radio on the driver's side). Here's the best part...the controllers are connected to the line driver via a telephone-type cable that only carries a control voltage. The cable and control is not in the signal path. So no additional RCA lengths. Plus, the line driver can stay on the port side along with the source unit and amplifiers. A very short signal path. Both zones are included in one package.

David
Earmark Marine

moombadaze
02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
fedex man droped off a little something today
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0264.jpg

started swapping out the incabin speakers
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0265.jpg
if you open this little black box on the wire harness you will find a conector that works for the new speakers-no need to cut any wires

old speaker and new Exile speaker- the new one look so much better with the black grills
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0268.jpg

what a difference the cabin speaker swap did. These things crank and I can allready see I will be looking for a upgrade amp for them.

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

moombadaze
02-18-2011, 08:51 PM
the sub
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0271.jpg

my cheap sub box from wallyworlds
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0272.jpg

the sub as it will be sitting under the helm.
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0275.jpg

Wolfeman-was a 3 beer job so far

Next up Exile Harpoon amp and tower speakers-hopefully by next weekend.

I'm amazed at the difference so far in the sound--these thing frickin rock and the speakers are underpowered for now

rdlangston13
02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
sounds like fed ex is busy in florida!

kaneboats
02-19-2011, 08:44 AM
You got that right!

11 Outback V
02-19-2011, 08:04 PM
that may be a cheap boxbut give me a call and Ican explain how to build a nice trim panel for it and it is very simple to do, and not that expensive..:lol:

Brianinpdx
02-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Stacy - you should have a big time smile on your face when your done. Let's sound a few moments on the phone when hour ready to do some tuning. Did I send you the tech tip paper on the harpoon/tower setup?

RD- sent you a pm about your stuff.

Going to be a pretty fun summer for all you upgrade guys! Can't wait to see these boats on the water!

Brian
Exile audio

mmandley
02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Stacy - you should have a big time smile on your face when your done. Let's sound a few moments on the phone when hour ready to do some tuning. Did I send you the tech tip paper on the harpoon/tower setup?

Exile audio

LOL you PWI Brian? Or just forgot to post read this man? LOL

Brianinpdx
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Lol long day man! Damn iPad !!

kaneboats
02-20-2011, 02:07 AM
You guys crack me up! Brian, there are so many of us ordering and enjoying the SXT65's that it may be time to post up a quick tutorial on how to mount them to the typical LSV tower. I delved into it tonight and, while I appreciate your kind offer for help in mounting I wanted to try to do it myself.

I noticed that you should not tighten the 4 small screws for mounting of the initial attachment plate till you start the medium screws for the bottom portion of the tower mount. Once those are placed in thier spot you can tighten the 4 small ones. Also, it looks like the directions show the medium ones going down from the top when they should go up from the bottom. Maybe a quick description with some diagrams would be good for those of us who are on here regularly.

So far no pics and only temp wiring but the EXILE speakers sound fantastic.

kaneboats
02-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Mine's already not talking to any of you guys.

moombadaze
02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
man wireing up and mounting the tower speakers took way to long, but dang they sure look purdy. And the covers are sweeeet.
One amp to go and I think I could be done.....

So far I think the neighbors are enjoying the cabin speakers and sub

So I take I saved 200 this weekend not buying some balast bags? How did they fit?

Remember to bring lots of wine to clearmont to keep the ladies happy and not talking about Exile speakers

wolfeman131
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Remember to bring lots of wine to clearmont to keep the ladies happy and not talking about Exile speakers

Screw that! Buy more Yuengling and if/when they start bitchin', just crank up those sweet Exile systems and drown them out! :p

moombadaze
02-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Screw that! Buy more Yuengling and if/when they start bitchin', just crank up those sweet Exile systems and drown them out! :p

ok, I like your idea way more.

moombadaze
02-21-2011, 07:13 AM
mounted the tower speakers. since I was by myself doing this I found I could hang the speaker withe the clamps on loose, put the wires together and heatshrink the connections, then push the wire back into the tower and slide the speaker over and tighten it up. No visible wires.

moombadaze
02-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Going to be a pretty fun summer for all you upgrade guys! Can't wait to see these boats on the water!

Brian
Exile audio

Brian, Yep the smile is stuck right now-holy cow does the boat sound AWESOME now.

Nope no papers in the harpoon box for tech tips. I'm getting close to getting it wired up and will give you or the my tech team a call when its in and powered up.

moombadaze
02-21-2011, 07:35 AM
that may be a cheap boxbut give me a call and Ican explain how to build a nice trim panel for it and it is very simple to do, and not that expensive..:lol:

Be talking with ya soon.

rdlangston13
02-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Be talking with ya soon.

since you are having to build a box i take there did not get our boxes confused! what a relief!

moombadaze
02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
since you are having to build a box i take there did not get our boxes confused! what a relief!

yep they didnt get the box messed up, bummed.

so far every night after work I have sat out in the boat just listning to it-well tonight i worked on it, changed out the impeller

rdlangston13
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
sounds pretty good then huh?

moombadaze
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
little update.

Seems to take me forever to get stuff done but Im just about finished with it all.

After getting everthing wired up I went to turn the stereo on-NO sound. :mad:. This was after listning to the cabin and sub for the last few nights after work with a cold one relaxing. Turns out that the stereo head unit needed reseting after disconnecting the battery cables to install a battery switch. Go to turn up the tower speakers and no sound :(. Turns out I forgot to run the ground wire to the battery-5 minutes later its grounded, try again to hear the tower speakers and guess what-no frickin sound. Start checking and found I had forgot to plug in the rca's since they were out of sight. Finally get to hear the Harpoon driving the Tower speakers and Dam it sure sounded crappy. So after about 5 minutes I figure out I have the rca's in the wrong hole, the speakers wires hooked up incorrectly, Couple minutes later and the neigbors are listing to Girls, Girls girls by Motley Crue--wow did it sound great after a few adjustments. This thing frickin cranks now compared to what it was.

Sum it all up for the last couple weeks
Added 6 Exile cabin speakers
Added a 12" Exile sub in a cheap sealed box--box will be replaced someday
Added 4 Exile tower speakers
Added a harpoon amp
Added Kicker dual zone control--Love this
Added 2nd battery
Added battery switch
Added a Prosport 2 bank battery charger
Added 2 forward facing tower lights
Added 2 rear facing tower lights
Rewire depth finder to come on when boat is turned on.

moombadaze
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Tower lights-forwad facing
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0260-1.jpg
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0261.jpg
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0262.jpg

Lights were mounted just before/under the tower hinges

Rear lights to be finished soon.....

moombadaze
02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
I would still be trying to figure this all out as I really was not sure what I was doing if these 2 did not help me out when in need.

11 outback V--Todd
mmandley--Mike

Phone calls answered, Emails answered, text messageing with pictures answered.

Thanks again

11 Outback V
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Any time Moombadaze, glad I could be of some help, the wife always tells me Im no help around here....:p :cool:

brain_rinse
02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow, nice setup! Do you have some pics of the lights when they are off? Are those the swivel tower speaker mounts or the fixed?

mmandley
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I would still be trying to figure this all out as I really was not sure what I was doing if these 2 did not help me out when in need.

11 outback V--Todd
mmandley--Mike

Phone calls answered, Emails answered, text messageing with pictures answered.

Thanks again

Anytime man thats what i do is try to help people as much as i can with there set up. Anyone who has a question or wants help all you gotta do is PM me or email me. its really no trouble at all.

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Wow, nice setup! Do you have some pics of the lights when they are off? Are those the swivel tower speaker mounts or the fixed?

I'll snap a photo of the lights tonight with them off. Tower speakers are fixed mounts
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0263.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0264-1.jpg

no extra holes for wiring and I reused some old speaker clamps for the tower to mount them, if needed they can be removed

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I have a feeling you will be buying flowers when the tax return comes in. :)

rdlangston13
03-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Anytime man thats what i do is try to help people as much as i can with there set up. Anyone who has a question or wants help all you gotta do is PM me or email me. its really no trouble at all.

ill be honest. even after you tried explaining it to me i am still confused about how you mounted your amp board on the outside lol

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a feeling you will be buying flowers when the tax return comes in. :)

thats a understatement

rdlangston13
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
where are the pictures of the speakers on the tower?!

moombadaze
03-02-2011, 07:31 AM
where are the pictures of the speakers on the tower?!

Have not taken any as the boat has not been out of the garage since the weekend after thanksgiving, this weekend is not looking to good at this point either-crappy weather :mad:

Rd-make sure and start a thread with photos also of your system

rdlangston13
03-02-2011, 08:58 AM
please, call me david. I will as soon as i get can started. brian sent me an email monday saying that he was going to be sending my stuff. ill probably start a thread after this weekend when i get some pictures of what i have so far in boxes still

mmandley
03-02-2011, 09:27 AM
ill be honest. even after you tried explaining it to me i am still confused about how you mounted your amp board on the outside lol

NP Dave. I am going to be working on my new stereo install this weekend i have all my old gear out of the boat and ill take some other pictures for you and help you understand how you mount the racks ok bro.

Yup i said new. Gotta keep my gear on the cutting edge. Go BIG or Go HOME!!

If i dont haul an RV tomorrow ill be in the garage working on the boat and i got my camera all charged up. :D

moombadaze
03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Mike, what are you doing?

mmandley
03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Replacing everything in my cubby, i upgraded my sub amp and its way to large for the amp rack i had. So now i have to make new amp racks. Also since im making a new one for the cabin and sub amp i might as well make a new one for the Harpoon amp. Then this comes to the fact i might as well make a new one for my power distro block and fuses.

So after all that my whole cubby will be new, and im replacing the tower set up with something new. I havnt seen anyone on the Moomba forum do this yet so im going to set the new bar for towers. Some will love it and some will hate it. Same as everything i do LOL.

I will start posting the stuff in a new thread later this weekend. i want to get it going before i post pics. The big ticket is my new tower set up. Still waiting on Exile to finish building my units. Brian has been super busy.

moombadaze
03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Mike, post up some before photos if ya can so we can see where you came from to where your going

dusty2221
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
You better have an 8 tower setup if your going to be setting any new bars! Supra boys have 6 beat already, and 6 seems like the logial step up from your 4!

KG's Supra24
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
You better have an 8 tower setup if your going to be setting any new bars! Supra boys have 6 beat already, and 6 seems like the logial step up from your 4!

What the heck are you talking about dusty? I thought you surfed behind Brians boat last year. His has 10!!

mmandley
03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Mike, post up some before photos if ya can so we can see where you came from to where your going

Before photos i can repost from my threads in my Sig or pull off other threads. Boat is already striped out right now lol.

I will get some shots of it now and as i progress threw it. If it goes the way i want the teaser is Plexiglas, mirrors, lights, fans.

moombadaze
03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
what no disco ball ?--that's major pimp points :rolleyes:. Seriously sounds very nice

jmvotto
03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
what no disco ball ?--that's major pimp points :rolleyes:. Seriously sounds very nice

tall "striper pole" with leds....;)

dusty2221
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Now we are getting somewhere!

KG's Supra24
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
tall "striper pole" with leds....;)

and mirrors of course.

moombadaze
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0267-1.jpg
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0270-1.jpg

KG's Supra24
03-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Those really are a good looking speaker. Nice work!

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Interesting you hung them on the front bar.

moombadaze
03-03-2011, 09:40 AM
couple reasons for that-allready had the 2 holes from the old speakers, was tired of fishing wires, didnt want to hit my head when getting in from the back deck-hope that holds true when we finally get out, lazy, different- as most all are on the rear bar

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Did you check your bimini with the new speakers?

moombadaze
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
um, no. hopeing for the best. had not thought about that at all till i saw your reply but it should fit and if not i can lower it down to the factory setting as i had raised it after getting it.

JesseC
03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
couple reasons for that-allready had the 2 holes from the old speakers, was tired of fishing wires, didnt want to hit my head when getting in from the back deck-hope that holds true when we finally get out, lazy, different- as most all are on the rear bar

These are the exact reasons I did the front bar as well. When they are on the rear bar they are where everyone is walking and you have to "jump" the wires from the front bar to the rear bar which exposes the wires. My older LSV bimini will clear the speakers, you just have to open it fully while it is leaned to the back of the boat and then rotate it forward to lock it in place.

rdlangston13
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
will they fit on the front bar with a z5?

moombadaze
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
not sure but really wish i had the z5

newty
03-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Daze those look great! Love the lights too.
I wish I could put mine on the front bar but my Z-5 would hit it. Unless I moved the cover down but I can barely stand up under mine now. I may cut off the loop and cap it so I can move it up higher and miss the speakers, like... crap... I forgot his name. The supra guy that got booted for his hate of online shopping and budget systems.

His looks nice. and his Z-5 sits really high and he still has room for his Wetsounds.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get my SXT65's installed.

mmandley
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
You talking about JonyB?

newty
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Yup... Thanks.

rdlangston13
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
looks like ill be jumping the wire to the rear bar

moombadaze
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Couple photos with the cell phone from last weekend

Very happy with the system

cab13367
03-11-2011, 01:11 AM
um, no. hopeing for the best. had not thought about that at all till i saw your reply but it should fit and if not i can lower it down to the factory setting as i had raised it after getting it.

Looking good Stacy but hate to tell you, you won't be able to open the biminin in the raised position with the speakers on the front bar. See the pics below. This is with my old Aerial cans. You can see that they come right up to the back of the speakers, and I had to move the bimini mounting clamps forward on the tower tubing a few inches to even get them to clear.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_8270.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_8268.jpg

moombadaze
03-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Al, I have it up in the pictures for travel-correct, but I added a hole part way down so its up higher than the factory position for it to be open in-I have just as much headroom as before with the Exile speakers so I dont think I will be having to adjust it.

Cool photo with the reflection in the 4 speakers

KG's Supra24
03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
cab, what is that on the top left of your tower? A flag holder?

cab13367
03-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Al, I have it up in the pictures for travel-correct, but I added a hole part way down so its up higher than the factory position for it to be open in-I have just as much headroom as before with the Exile speakers so I dont think I will be having to adjust it.

Cool photo with the reflection in the 4 speakers

You lost me - maybe you could a post a pic when you get a chance ofthe Bimini in the open position.

cab, what is that on the top left of your tower? A flag holder?

Yes, it's a flag holder.

rdlangston13
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
I need a flag holder or two for my tower. got to fly the lone star!

moombadaze
03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
no clearance issue's at all
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0297.jpg
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0296.jpg

and what fun it is to hear the tunes while srfing

I'm one happy boater
Thanks Exile

Brianinpdx
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Moombadaze -

Looks really good. But more importantly How does it sound? If you need help with any final tuning stuff, shoot me an email and I'll help dial you in.

-Brian
Exile Audio

moombadaze
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
sounds GREAT!

but still think its needs a little fine tuning-think I just need a little time with it and time is hard to come by on a sunday :(

moombadaze
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Is that a wetsuit I see?

What is your water temp?

wet and wind=cold-so the wetsuit was on

watertemp-have no idea but chilly

rdlangston13
03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
still waiting on the final piece for my Exile system to be complete. about to go buy a new battery cable since i had to move the 2nd battery and the factory cable from the perko switch wont reach...

moombadaze
03-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Pictures Dave, pictures

diago01
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey Cab, where did you get the flag holder?

Razzman
04-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Here's one (http://www.waterskiworld.com/boataccessories/accessories/accessories.html) that looks real nice. And another (http://cgi.ebay.com/Kwik-Tek-AIRHEAD-Water-Sports-Flag-Holder-Wakeboard-/190422614309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c56128125) on ebay. They're all over, even Target online sells the Kwik Tek unit.