PDA

View Full Version : Locked Steering Wheel



JKizerb
03-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok so I have replaced my wet exhaust, due to a bad impeller and the wife driving the boat. Winterized and summerized the boat, changed the oil and filter, but now I need to do the steering cable. A little clueless on the part number and removal/installation of the cable. Any of you senior forum members who can shed some light? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

2003 Moomba Outback LS

jmvotto
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Try this older thread

http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=4660&highlight=Steering+wheel+cable

JKizerb
04-01-2011, 11:12 PM
thanks, got the part here and doing the job tomorrow. Have you heard that drilling is required to get the "nut" through? I'm mechanically inclined, and unhooking it and stringing it through just seems to easy, is that why there are not alot of threads on this?

JesseC
04-02-2011, 12:55 AM
thanks, got the part here and doing the job tomorrow. Have you heard that drilling is required to get the "nut" through? I'm mechanically inclined, and unhooking it and stringing it through just seems to easy, is that why there are not alot of threads on this?

No drilling should be required. Just be sure to make the cable as "short" as possible on the stern end by turning the steering wheel all the way to the direction that causes the cable to shortened. Then tie a string to the end of the cable before you pull it though the helm. The string will allow you to tie the new cable and pull it back through the helm with ease. This is really an easy job as long as you remember to put the cable in its shortest configuration!!!

JKizerb
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Here are a few pictures just in case anyone is looking. Turned out to be pretty simple. I had to remove the floor panels, rear ballast tank, rear seat, and driver's seat to have full access. To reach the small bolt holding the cable at the rudder was a difficult reach (picture 2). Also, when pulling it through under the steering wheel, it became a bit difficult with electrical wires in the way. I finally removed the "fishing" string off the old cable to pull it through. Then I just pushed the new cable through to it was visible, re-attached the "fishing" rope feeding it back through to the rudder. All in all job took me about 3 hours to complete. Hopefully this will help someone save an hour!