PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

ben624
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I need some opinions.... I have been looking at overtonís boat covers.... They have a sharkskin cover for $250... And they have a sunbrella cover for $483.... It is made for my 99 outback.... Plus I can get it in blue to match the boat... The dealer has the original cover for $489.... So has anyone have an idea or knows someone who has any of the above mentioned covers? It doesnít matter what kind of boat they are on.... I am wondering which would be best for the boat... I donít want to scratch the gel coat.... So please feel free to tell me what you think? Thanks for any and all help... Working on pics of my outback.

mobiusLSV05
05-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Pay the extra dollars and have a cover made at a local shop. The best material I have found is Aqualon. It is water tight, and unlike Sunbrella, there is no maintenance down the road(treating the material). I went with the snap style of a bow, and a snap cockpit cover. They ran about 650.00 for labor and parts but its well worth it.

ben624
05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks but I don't have that option.... I wish I did.... Maybe next year... But for now I need a good cover to keep out as much rain as possible.... Since the top deck of the dock leaks.

Yellowmobius
05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I know the Sunbrella is top quality stuff

ben624
05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
So Bruce do you think that the sunbrella is better than the factory cover.... I have never seen a sunbrella cover so I don't know.... They are both about the same price.
Ben

Yellowmobius
05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Thats a tough one.

I "think" the sunbrella is better, however that is only my opinion.

Anyone else?

ben624
05-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for your opinion.... That is all have to go on... I have never seen a sunbrella cover so I don't have a clue.... Since both the sunbrella and the factort cover are close to $500..... I don't know if I should go with the one for $250... They all have the same warranty... 5 years... The cheaper one is in stock... That is why it is cheaper... The other one has to be built.... But I would like something good that doesn't hurt the gel coat.

Lanci4
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Ben524, I have an outback that I'm having a snap cover made for the bow then one for the boat that goes over the winshield. They use the Sunbrella product which I have on my other boat that is used in salt water and have had no problems with the product. I'm in florida and the covers are costing me around $500. It will be done next week I will let you know how it came out.

Lance

sailnfast
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM
For what its worth, my dealer told me not to buy a factory cover as he didn't think that for the price they held up as well to some of the aftermarket options (e.g. Sunbrella).

ben624
05-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey Thanks guys.... I appreciate that everyone has put in there opinions... Now I have something to think about.... I am scared to have a snap on cover put on my boat... I have seen other boats with rust stains running down the side after a few years.... I also live on the coast in Texas... So I wake board in the salt water... And salt water will eat anything up in time.... So it looks like a sunbrella from overton's... UNLESS someone knows a cheaper place to get a fitted sunbrella cover? But guys really THANKS for all the input.