PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems

josemiguel_aguilar
01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Yesterday i went to ride on my 2009 outback v and the boat did not steer. Think the steering cable broke.

Any comments? My boat has 450 hours and is used in salt water

Hoopskier
01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Steering cable is the first place I would look.

jmb
01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
My salt water days are over. I had all kinds of problems with my other boat and I vowed I would never put it in salt water again. I went through manifold and risers and a head on a 4 cylinder. Salt water will lock anything up. Got to keep everything oiled and greased. I guess you may not have any choice.

josemiguel_aguilar
01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks. It is normal for the steering cable to broke after a few years of use? I never lubricated this cable with grease. How should I do it?

jmb
01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I would get back to the rudder. There is a steering arm back there and also a zerk fitting on the rudder shaft itself. I spread a little grease on the arm and shoot a few pumps of grease in the fitting. I turn the rudder one way and then the other and regrease a little to work it in. If you can't turn it (the steering) you may have to try back at the rudder to break it loose maybe. I do this once a year. I might also have someone try to turn the wheel while i'm under the boat pushing and pulling on the rudder to break it loose. Something to try

josemiguel_aguilar
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you JMB for your comments! Appreciate same.

Jumbo
01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Does somone know if a lsv 2011 has a zerk fitting on the rudder? I didn't find it.....