PDA

View Full Version : stereo remote issue



FearTheElf
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm having an issue with my stereo remote. I have a 2008 Outback with the factory Kenwood unit, plus the factory installed driver's remote. The Kenwood unit also came with the handheld Kenwood remote.

Both remotes work fine when the engine is off. However, 95% of the time that the engine is running, NEITHER the factory installed driver's remote nor the included Kenwood handheld remote will work. The other 5% off the time, the remote will work once or twice shortly after the engine is started, but it never lasts long. This leads me to believe the issue is not with the remotes, since they either both work or both don't work. I'm thinking it has something to do with the current from the alternator once the engine is running, possibly affecting the ground and somehow interfering with the head unit's remote function. And/or I potentially have a faulty head unit. Any other ideas?

This is a chronic issue that has been happening ever since I took delivery last summer. The dealer tried to troubleshoot it twice, to no avail.

Hydrofoiljunky
04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Woah, I'm not Crazy. I thought it was just me not being able to push the buttons correctly. Except, it works for me probably 50-50. It is really annoying when my rider falls and I swing around to pick em up for another round and want to mute or just turn down the volume and I can't get it down :-) So I leap across to the glovebox, pop it and then turn it down manually so I can talk to my rider. If you ever find out what it is, I'm first in line to hear your fix. Oh and I still love my Moomba



Chad

ian ashton
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
My Kenwood does the same thing, but I ordered my boat without a factory radio. I've noticed that sometimes my radio will go into 'protect' mode, causing the remotes to stop working. Is this what is happening to you guys?

jmvotto
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Is this the kenwood remote or the aeware ??

ian ashton
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I have the Kenwood remotes.

FearTheElf
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
My Kenwood does the same thing, but I ordered my boat without a factory radio. I've noticed that sometimes my radio will go into 'protect' mode, causing the remotes to stop working. Is this what is happening to you guys?

Not sure... what do you mean by 'protect' mode? Does it actually indicate that on the display somehow?


Is this the kenwood remote or the aeware ??

For me both the aeware fixed remote next to the driver and the Kenwood handheld remote exhibit the same behavior. That's why I'm thinking it is not an issue with the remote itself... unless of course the aeware remote is bad, and it is somehow affecting any remote control function in the head unit.

jeilers1
04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
What is the model of the handheld remote and what head unit are you using it with?

hunter61
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't see any updates to this in a while. I am having the same issue, the remotes work great when the boat is off, but not when the boat is running. This applies to both remotes.

I also just installed three amps, tower speakers, and a sub. I didn't replace the head unit now, but did replace it about a year ago with the Kenwood Excelon Kdc-x494. It worked great with the remotes until the recent install.

I have traced the wires, and even replaced the driver remote with a new Kenwood remote. None of this has fixed the problem. Let me know if anyone has an update. Thanks.

lewisb13
03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
The faceplate on your head unit is not making good contact with the body of the reciever. Next time it does this, walk over to the other side of the boat and PUSH right in the middle of the LCD screen and then try your wired/wireless remotes.