View Full Version : Floor panel removal??

03-25-2004, 03:25 PM
First of all, it took me awhile to find this board, but so far the info is great and I am glad to have joined. As far as my topic, I wanted to ask how do you get to the driveshaft and the joint that you tighten? I can't seem to find my manual. Any help would be appreciated. I assume that the floor is removed at some point, but that is reason for my question. Thanks.

03-25-2004, 05:24 PM
What model of boat are you talking about?

I have a '99 Outback LS - direct drive, and I just finished replacing the driveshaft. First of all, its a lot easier if you remove the motor cover, if you have a direct drive boat. Then, there is only two screws holding down a piece of the floor panel. It fits under the seat really snug, so you have to do a little bit of wiggleing,(not sure how to spell that), before the panel will come out. Then you should see the shaft/coupling and the packing. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Take in mind, that is what I saw on my boat, yours could be totally different.

03-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I forgot to put it in the last post. I have a 2002 Outback Ls with the cage and ballast. I'll look for the screws you mentioned, that should do it. I think that the nut is too loose since when I leave the boat in the water overnite, there seems to be more water in the hull than should be. I noticed that when I am out on the lake, I bilge more than should. Thanks.

james yarosz
03-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey medic,I have a 2003 outback ls,and i had the same problem.(taking on water)Turns out the mufflers were leakingwhere the rear hoses were clamped on.somebody had overtightened the clamps and cracked the mufflers.Dealer replaced them both.

03-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks, I will look at that as well. I need to get on this since it is almost time for me to start hitting the lake. I also saw a thread about the ballast bags taking on water while running around on the lake. I noticed last season that both bags would have water in them and I know that I didn't hit the switches by accident. If any of you know what causes this the help would be appreciated.

03-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Notsure if your is the same as a 2001 Mobius but when I remove my engine cover I use a punch and drive the pin out of the hinge rather than removing the screws. It is just as easy and that way you won't strip the screw holes out.

03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
That sounds easier. As soon as the rain moves out, I'm gonna get out the and check it out. By the way, when I bought my boat, I noticed on my capacities sticker that it says Outback LS/ Mobius. I asked the dealer about it and he said that since I got it with a cage and ballast system that it is actually the Mobius. He said that the difference is the standard cage/ballast setup and they just put Outback Ls stickers on it instead. Any of you ever heard that or did I get my chain yanked?

03-26-2004, 01:32 PM
The two boats are the same except the mobius has the tower/ballast and stainless prop as standard. I have seen the ls with the wakeboarding package added on for about $1500 less than the mobius. Not sure about resale value though.

03-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Mine has the brass prop, but as far as anything else, I haven't found any difference. The guy at the dealer said I could put the Mobius sticker package on it, but I chose not to. Thanks for the info.