PDA

View Full Version : amps overheating?



dirty661
08-06-2009, 10:46 PM
i got 2 alpine pdx-5m installed in the compartment under the stereo and they keep goin into protect mode. anyone got any ideas on setting a fan up inside the compartment or doin a billet cold plate? any advice would be appreciated

tazz3069
08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Give us a little more info of your setup.

Razzman
08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
You sure it's heat? A number of things can cause protect mode the biggest being improper wiring, too small of gauge wire, loose wires, etc. Where do you live? I live in California's Central Valley where 105-110 in the summer is not unheard of and my two Kicker ZX amps have never overheated. Then again it could be the amps themselves but i can't say as i personally don't know anyone that runs Alpine amps.

Kelsey
08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Mine do this from time to time if we are running the stereo really loud for an extended period. I have aspirations of putting a permanent fan in there. This summer I stuck a small fan (5" diameter)we use for camping in there. It takes 4 D cell batteries. I works great. I haven't had it happen again since then. I do have to replace the batteries every couple of outings, but it works for now.