I played around a lot with where I wanted the switches for the ballast system to be. I wasn't going to use my old single switch from the Rule pump and my dash is pretty limited for expansion so it was time again to do some cutting. After playing around a lot and finding out my original location would be a bad spot to bump my arm against a lot I decided to move my stereo remote over by the ignition switch and use the old remote location for the switch plate.
A few more of the surgery... The dremel wasn't going to cut it and I ended up using a fine tooth blade on a jigsaw to cut out the rest of the square. I was amazed at how smoothly it cut without chipping up the gelcoat!
Looks like it will be a good fit - very visible yet not as easy to bump accidentally.
The switch plate is probably bigger than it needs to be but I did this on purpose. Using the same size plate I could redo it in the future and add a 4th or even a 5th switch just by bunching them closer together. Or I could add some other switches for lighting, stereo, whatever. A piece of ABS is pretty cheap and easy to carve up for a new layout if I ever desire. And the holes I cut will allow for some expansion if the time ever comes.
So now I'm into wiring up the pumps. The wiring diagram Wakemakers includes with the switches makes it super simple, there's just a lot of wires as you get going...
I decided to hide my in-line fuses behind the panel rather than trying to incorporate access to a fuse into the front. Where they'll be located they're easy to get to and will help to have a cleaner look.
And that's all for tonight. It got dark on me...
In addition to the ballast project (that has been taking forever) I mentioned I had to move my batteries from the back to the front, along with the switch and all new 1/0 gauge wiring back to the starter and engine block. In order to do that I also ended up pulling all three of my amps out since the wiring for the distribution blocks would have to change. And while I was at that I swapped out one of them for a bigger amp to power the tower speakers. And then of course since I wasn't happy with the cabin speakers being under powered so of course I swapped those out for a different set.
So I guess this was more than just a ballast project - all that along with months of crappy weather explains why it has been taking so long!
Hope to have a few more finishing touches sometime this week.
WOW, very impresive with lots of detail. Bet your going to be super happy with all that hard work
Thanks guys - it's been a learning experience. I've pulled apart, rerouted and cut up things I probably wouldn't have had the courage to do if it weren't for examples I read about and saw on here!
Had the chance a week or so ago to do a bag check as well when I was swapping around fittings. The yellow 400's just had a little duct tape over the fittings so they leaked a little but no rips or tears from what I could see. Filled with air not water!
That's 400 + 400 + 750 + 1100 + 1100 = 3,750lbs total if I were able to fill it all!
Hmmm, now all I need is a boat...
Sitting next to these 1100's you feel how big they really are. Kind of feels like a coffin!
How's this for perspective...
How is the basement set up on your boat to be able to get a 750 in there? I can barely get the stock 400 full without popping the hatch door up.
WOW super nice Berg really nice work on all points man.
MNPRACING - That's where I'm spoiled a little - the basement on my boat is huge. I'd compare it more to an XLV than anything else. I can fill a 750 until it's ready to burst and still be able close the walk-thru seat down without it popping up. I have the playpen style front seating so there's still storage room in front of the bag too.
These aren't the best shots but gives you an idea of the cavernous space.
If I get tired of messing with the 400's or I can find the right deal I may go with one of the 1180 Gravity Games bags under there in place of the 750. It should fit but will not fill 100% towards the bow where the compartment is not as deep following the lines of the hull.
Great install, and thanks for all the detailed pics and explanation! I don't have gold stars but I do have stickys.