My little sub enclosure
With the help of some of the folks on this forum, I have started the redo of our '02 LSV and am now going through the stereo.
I have ordered my amps, 12'-W6, Kenwood HU and spent a few hours this last weekend starting on the sub enclosure which is replacing an old chinese made enclosure with an Alpine R12 shoved under the driver's area.
Final checking on the boat:
I was going to do a high fill, polish and fill again gloss finish, but for now I have ordered some Moomba yellow and Moomba grey vinyl and will decide which one I will cover it with. This is so I can speed up finishing the stereo install as I want to finish the stereo install then have the interior redone down in Fresno CA.
So for now I think I will spray the plywood with either a laquer or a roll a two-part epoxy such as the West System 105/206 products. I can always build another enclosure later if I feel like it as I will be putting together my little home cabinet shop this winter.
I still need to clean up the glue, mount the front (which is just tacked for now) and side panel, router/ease the outside corners and add the speaker wire terminal cup.
Enclosure looks great! Photo quality is wonderful! :) Now build me one!
I like the idea of covering with vinyl.... original!
Looks great man! Did you end up putting a support on the magnet?
Looks good to me. Wanna see the finished product. I might build one of these myself this winter.
looks great .... good work
Be sure to elevate the enclosure off the sole by a minimum of 1/2" with polymer pads/risers of some type, such as PVC, HDPE, KingStarboard, ABS, etc. Regardless of what and how you coat/seal the enclsosure, you must provide for drainage and evaporation, especially with that much footprint against carpet. In avoiding a mold and mildew trap, it's also a good idea to space the enclosure off the hump by a small margin.
I have been going over that same issue in my head, I have been thinking of ripping some HPDE strips and screwing them to the back and bottom of the enclosure, over the vinyl. Easy and robust.
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine
Thanks again to all for the help with this project.
No magnet support, there are only two screws holding the sub for the mock up shots and I rotated them so I wouldn't hit the same holes for the final mounting.
Originally Posted by lewisb13