Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default How to mount amp boards to inside of hull?

    Hello Everybody,

    I would like to mount my amps to a board inside the passenger seat compartment against the hull like I have seen time and time again. I think this is a clean, space conserving way and I cant think of a better place. I have read through many of the threads and not found how these are being mounted. I found a supra thread where they glued wooden blocks to the inside if the hull. I have also seen the use of small "L" brackets.

    I have a 07 outback V. If I glue blocks, what would be a good adhesive to use? Is this a good way to mount these? If not, how the heck do I mount them? Are there any draw backs to gluing the blocks? Help!

    Thanks,

    Bob

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    87

    Default

    I glued 3/4" butcher blocker to the inside of the hull. Thats the closest they had to sea block (if not the same). Then screwed into that. Havnt had it out on the water yet, but with a few GOOD tugs, it stayed attached.

    Got the butcher block from a local plastics shop.

  3. #3

    Default

    there is a strip were the two halfs come together you can screw to that with the proper size screw

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    Bob,

    On my boat, there is about a 1" tall by 3/4" thick strip of starboard type material that serves as the backing for the rubrail (the rubrail is screwed to it). I attached the top of the amp board to that. I then used a hinge and used that to attach the bottom of the board to the floor of the boat. I used a hinge instead of an L bracket because the board does not make a 90 degree angle with the floor of the boat. In hindsight though, I should have used an L bracket and just bent it to the right angle as the hingle moves a bit.

    Al
    Al

    2006 Mobius LSV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    I just screwed mine into the built out air duct portion of the compartment. You just have to have amps with a small enough footprint to fit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Moomba Outback - waiting for summer!

    Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Bob,

    On my boat, there is about a 1" tall by 3/4" thick strip of starboard type material that serves as the backing for the rubrail (the rubrail is screwed to it). I attached the top of the amp board to that. I then used a hinge and used that to attach the bottom of the board to the floor of the boat. I used a hinge instead of an L bracket because the board does not make a 90 degree angle with the floor of the boat. In hindsight though, I should have used an L bracket and just bent it to the right angle as the hingle moves a bit.

    Al
    Bob,

    I did mine like cab with a small variation. Make sure you pre drill pilot holes through your amp rack and into the rubrail strip (the rubrail strip is some tuff stuff). For the bottom of the rack I cut two small scrape pieces of my amp board and screwed them to the floor tight against the amp board. No need for metal brakets, and that baby's not gonna budge! I can take pics if you like.

    Good luck
    Last edited by 2007 Outback V; 05-26-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have pics of how they do it from the factory? That may help the op out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2007 Outback V View Post
    Bob,

    I did mine like cab with a small variation. Make sure you pre drill pilot holes through your amp rack and into the rubrail strip (the rubrail strip is some tuff stuff). For the bottom of the rack I cut two small scrape pieces of my amp board and screwed them to the floor tight against the amp board. No need for metal brakets, and that baby's not gonna budge! I can take pics if you like.

    Good luck
    Please send pics if its not too much trouble.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRANDNIRON8971 View Post
    I glued 3/4" butcher blocker to the inside of the hull. Thats the closest they had to sea block (if not the same). Then screwed into that. Havnt had it out on the water yet, but with a few GOOD tugs, it stayed attached.

    Got the butcher block from a local plastics shop.
    What kind of glue did you use?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    I cut 1" x 1" squares of MDF, then cut 1" x 1" squares in the carpet on the wall. I then used Gorilla Glue to secure them to the hull. They haven't come lose yet!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •