Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Posts
    266

    Default Keeping boat from freezing.

    Hey guys. I know there are guys on here that boat up till the temperture gets down pretty cold and all. I got a drysuit and stuff so I am starting to get where I can go longer and longer. But my question is when the temp at night is dropping down into the freezing range how are you guys keeping the boat motor from cracking? Or does everyone stop once that happens? Was just wondering. Right now the temp during the day has been aroudn the mid to upper 50s on some days. Not sure the temp at night. I want to keep boating but don't want to crack the block on my boat.
    2006 Mobius LSV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Keuka Lake, NY
    Posts
    5,667

    Default

    her's a thread, peopl use work lights and blankets over the engine.

    Not sure its cold enough yet at night or during the day. I f you boat is on the lake , the lake water will keep it warm enough not to freeze until late nov, dec.

    water bottle trick is usually a good test.that will freez before your block



    http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthrea...light=freezing
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless


    Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    Hey guys. I know there are guys on here that boat up till the temperture gets down pretty cold and all. I got a drysuit and stuff so I am starting to get where I can go longer and longer. But my question is when the temp at night is dropping down into the freezing range how are you guys keeping the boat motor from cracking? Or does everyone stop once that happens? Was just wondering. Right now the temp during the day has been aroudn the mid to upper 50s on some days. Not sure the temp at night. I want to keep boating but don't want to crack the block on my boat.
    I have a small ceramic heater that I throw in the back locker and it keeps the boat nice and warm. It also stops the mildew from forming on my upholstery.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

    2007 Outback V

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    128

    Default

    with a 100 watts in the bottom of engine compartment you can't be wrong
    ____________
    03 Mobius LSV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    For those of you who understand physics and the difference between heat and temperature I have wondered what filling ballast with hot water would do overnight on cold nights before winterizing. I would think the heat in the large quantities would warm the boat overnight. Thoughts anyone?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Posts
    266

    Default

    So a 60w light bulb puts off enough heat to keep the motor warm and not freezing up on me? My boat is kept out in the garage right now. Will try and move it to a shop soon so that the wind won't be as much of a factor. I figure wind chill might not help any.
    2006 Mobius LSV

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    So a 60w light bulb puts off enough heat to keep the motor warm and not freezing up on me? My boat is kept out in the garage right now. Will try and move it to a shop soon so that the wind won't be as much of a factor. I figure wind chill might not help any.
    After boating when you get home drain the water out of the block. Get you one of the shields from Lowes and put you a 100 watt bulb in it. Last winter I drained the water from the block and had 2 fixtures with 2 100 watt bulbs in them and clamped them to the engine mounts and closed the engine compartment, got down in the 20 in the shop for a while. I checked the temp in there everyday and it stayed above 35 in the engine compartment. Engine was fine all winter. So yours will be fine till you winterize your boat.

    It would have to be below 32 for a couple days to hurt anything. I wouldnt want to push it that close though.

    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
    99 Moomba Outback with lots of work

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snellville, GA & Lake Sinclair
    Posts
    6,920

    Default

    Interesting thought to use hot water. JV will need to check my math, but according to answers.com, a gallon of water weighs about 8.35 lbs, so a 750 lb sac would hold about 90 gallons. I think that would be a lot of H2O to heat and pay for if you're on county or city water in comparison to having a 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment.
    Drew
    New ride: 2012 Mojo
    Old ride: 2008 OBV

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Keuka Lake, NY
    Posts
    5,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Interesting thought to use hot water. JV will need to check my math, but according to answers.com, a gallon of water weighs about 8.35 lbs, so a 750 lb sac would hold about 90 gallons. I think that would be a lot of H2O to heat and pay for if you're on county or city water in comparison to having a 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment.
    wasn't me on the hot water suggestion
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless


    Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lake Houston
    Posts
    656

    Default

    I mean, I would be a little scared introducing an ignition source in the engine compartment 100% of the time like that. Just sayin.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •