Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop can move about 1/16" to 1/8" on shaft.

So I noticed the other day that I can grab my prop and rotate it about an 1/8" on the shaft without the shaft moving. The key is in there and the nut seems tight (like I can't really get it tightened down any further, it's certainly not loose...)

If you look at the top of this pic, you can see the key is in there.

This is how the prop is sitting on the shaft:

This is from the back side of the prop. you can see that the key is in there, but it doesn't extend all the way to the end of the prop.
    sorry for the pics, but not the easiest shot to capture.

The boat seems to perform just like it always has. The only reason I noticed that the prop could move back and forth about that 1/16th to 1/8th inch is because there was some seaweed wrapped around the prop shaft behind the prop that I had to take off after taking the boat out of the water.

When I tighten down on the prop nut it stops the ability for the prop to jiggle back and forth, but that doesn't last as I'm probably not really getting the nut any tighter, just making the prop's inside channel wedge against the key.

Thoughts on this?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, Kicker HLCD 6-pack, Polk Cabins, Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabrolet, 2002 Audic S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Prop is not fully seated on the tapper, i can see the witness mark from the old prop in pic #3

So I assume I should try to get the nut to move? and get the prop seated further on the shaft and make the nut tighter?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, Kicker HLCD 6-pack, Polk Cabins, Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabrolet, 2002 Audic S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

You need to get the prop to seat without using the nut as a press. Continuing to run can shear the key and bugger up the prop and shaft.

Take the prop off and remove key. Slide the prop back on with out the key until it stops. Mark the shaft. Put the prop back on with the key and make sure it slides all the way back to the same spot. If not the key may not be completely seating in the shaft or the prop and you may need to file it.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Take the prop off and remove key. Slide the prop back on with out the key until it stops. Mark the shaft. Put the prop back on with the key and make sure it slides all the way back to the same spot. If not the key may not be completely seating in the shaft or the prop and you may need to file it.
    That means your nut is tight on the key????? If the prop can move in and out away from the nut. The key way is tapered so the key can/ should not bind up on the strut. Something is not right here. If the prop is moving on the shaft, the key is not binding between the prop and the shaft. I would check the torque on the nut , it is listed in the specs
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Default Prop can move about 1/16" to 1/8" on shaft.

Key in backwards?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

The shaft is tapered so the shorter (angled) side of the key needs to be down in the shaft keyway and the longer side of the key needs to be facing up into the prop keyway.
    2005 Mobius LSV

key is not tapered, but square.

You probably have wear on the key at this point too. Should consider replacing it when you take it apart to do the above.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!