Results 1 to 10 of 27
Thread: Suggestions for the forum...
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM #1
Suggestions for the forum...
I just have a few:
1. Why can't posts be edited? I'm a member of a ton of internet forums, and they all allow editing of posts. The 15 minute edit rule is obnoxious.
-Editing comes in extra handy when you have a For Sale post - when your item sells the original poster can edit or close the initial post to inform buyers that the item is sold. This seems to be essentially what Ed G is trying to do with that thread, but the need to PM a mod to sell something is stupid, it will never work. The mod's are giving themselves too much work.
2. This forum NEEDS an "Off Topic" board. The General Chat section gets littered with stuff completely unrelated to Moomba boats, which is fine, but it really skews the purpose of that board: "Questions & Comments about Moomba boats"
3. In the 'How To' board there should only be 1 "sticky" and it should be a continually updated index of the basic important stuff, like Prop Shaft Alignment, Winterization, etc. The forum has a search feature, users can quickly find what they are looking for, we don't need a bunch of stickies.
4. Why are threads locked at a certain point (especially noticeable in the 'How To' board? If you have a question, starting a new thread for the same topic just clutters things up.
5. There are too many threads with people's names as the subject. Send a PM.
Without suggestions, we can't improve. None of this is meant to offend anyone, just things that I have experienced on other forums and stuff that I think will help improve and build the boards.
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM #2
Sounds like somebody wants to be a moderator.My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
2000 Outback LS (sold)
06-08-2011, 03:30 PM #3
LOL, I'd rather be a Delegator
06-08-2011, 03:51 PM #4
Ian, hope this helps with why--the Edit time issue is a result of threads being deleted-this way only a mod can delete a thread (after 15minutes)and we are not deleteing threads unless a majority of the mods agree.
Good ideas by the wayHey, Its Moomba time
13 Mobius LSV-sold
08 Mobius LSV-sold
03 Mobius LSV-sold
life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart
06-08-2011, 04:36 PM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
- Neely Henry, AL (live in Atlanta)
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM #6
With the system here if you go in later and delete your first post you will delete the entire thread. We are trying to avoid that situation. If you need to edit a post, just send a PM with the whole post to your favorite moderator with the changes and we'll be happy to swap it out for you. It' a simple cut and paste.My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
2000 Outback LS (sold)
06-08-2011, 04:53 PM #7
Why doesn't someone just tell Ed to stop deleting his old threads? lol
06-08-2011, 05:18 PM #8
I think that statement above is listed in merriam websters under the heading "rhetorical question"'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM #9
agree with the edit thing. every other forum I belong to will allow it and the post does not disappear if you edit it to nothing. just goes blank. sure it's some setting to edit vs delete..
strongly agree on the offtopic idea. it's a skiers-ran forum, not independent, so don't know about how that would work, but it sure would be much easier to post in...
the other ideas I could take or leave. with an ot section, the names thing would kind of be a moot point as that's what ot is for
something tells me ed would win the postwhore category if we did have an ot area....'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten
06-08-2011, 06:00 PM #10
Good suggestions - I totally agree with all of them.
2006 Mobius LSV