Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Thru-Hull Drilling - Bit to use?

    I need to know what type of drill bit to use to drill a 1' hole for a Thru-Hull Intake for an additional ballast pump.I am concerned about chipping the finish. I would assume you would drill it from the outside. I am looking at the WakeMAKERS.com Complete Impeller Pump Ballast Kit.
    07 LSV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lake wallenpaupack PA
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I need to know what type of drill bit to use to drill a 1' hole for a Thru-Hull Intake for an additional ballast pump.I am concerned about chipping the finish. I would assume you would drill it from the outside. I am looking at the WakeMAKERS.com Complete Impeller Pump Ballast Kit.
    Any wood holesaw will work.... tape the outside and drill in reverse( i do the whole hole in reverse)... i would start on the outside then switch to inside and drill about an eighth inch then go back to the outside and. Finish the whole.... this way the inside will not split/splinter when u push thru.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lake wallenpaupack PA
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Chamfer the hole as well... so u dont get chips and stress cracks..

  4. #4

    Default

    Thank you!
    07 LSV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    507

    Default

    I used a diamond hole saw use for tile to get through the gelcoat then drilled through the rest forward with a regular wood bit much quicker

    I figured if it wont chip ceramic tile it shouldn't chip the gelcoat
    2007 Outback V

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Everything posted above. Use tape on the hull prior to starting, start on the outside. The drill bit will work its way through, then finish from the inside. Start both sides in reverse. Once done, use some sand paper and round (or chamfer) the edges of the gel coat, this will help prevent gel coat cracks. Measure several times, you only get one shot.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

    2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Everything posted above. Use tape on the hull prior to starting, start on the outside. The drill bit will work its way through, then finish from the inside. Start both sides in reverse. Once done, use some sand paper and round (or chamfer) the edges of the gel coat, this will help prevent gel coat cracks. Measure several times, you only get one shot.
    This may be a dumb question but how do you know how to match up when you go to drill from the inside? Can you see it?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

    2007 Outback V

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Land O Lakes, Florida
    Posts
    5,871

    Default

    ^^^^Pilot hole, much easier to repair than a big 1" hole if its wrong
    Hey, Its Moomba time

    13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    ^^^^Pilot hole, much easier to repair than a big 1" hole if its wrong
    I like that idea much better. Thank you kind sir!
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

    2007 Outback V

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Keuka Lake, NY
    Posts
    5,914

    Default

    I just drilled mine in reverse the whole way thru from the outside.. pretty simple. beer always helps the nerves.... pic in my ballast upgrade thread..
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless


    Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •