Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning Mildew & Stains from Upholstery

I bought a 2008 Moomba Outback DD (at a very low price for the model) that looked like someone installed a cover with plenty of water in the boat. It created a terrarium like effect and grew mildew. I had already assumed a new interior was in order.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434414272.745886.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434414305.095582.jpg
    This is the before pics. At first I tried elbow grease, soap and water. That didn't do much.
    Then I tried scrubbing bubbles shower cleaner. That made progress though I am a bit apprehensive of the bleach.
    I then read about Hydrogen Peroxide. I tried it and it seemed to work ok but ran off too easily. I then got the bright idea of throwing in some baking soda. Man does this combo work! Apply with a brush or fine scotchbrite pad (only on vinyl not the gel coat in regards to the scotchbrite), let sit 10 to 15 minutes refreshing it if necessary to keep it moist. Then rinse. The difference is incredible. It will get the embedded stains left after using bleach! Brown or black stains, gone.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434414722.118136.jpg
    This was after a light effort with the above mix.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Nice work! Night and day difference. Still amazed how some people treat their stuff to let it get in that position..............

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks.

On the other hand in this case I am happy. I was looking at 1990-1998 boats for more money.

Teach my kids what effort can do.

doesn't look like the same boat. great job.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

That is an amazing transformation mine isn't that bad but I would like to white to be white again like yours.
    Can you tell me what strengths and ratios you used?

Thanks in advance
    '07 LSV
    340 EXT CAT SS
    Probably the only one in the UK
    [/SIGPIC]

My buddy dropped off his boat the other day to have my boys clean it. It sat outside during the divorce proceedings and was full of leaves and mildew. Not a pretty picture. We took the lysol with bleach spray cleaner to it and then let his cushions sit in the sun. Presto! No more mildew stains. Pressure washed everything and then rubbed out his hull. He came back in 4 days and thought we were playing a joke on him. "Where's MY boat?" The boys got a real kick out that one and made a little coin.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Though I don't doubt the mix you made worked. The byproduct of mixing chlorine and Lysol could be chlorine gas.
    I know as a child we used to mix powdered chlorine from pools and a cleaning product called Pine O Pine. It reacted automatically and produced a huge white cloud which we thought was cool. Fortunately we were always outside and upstream. Otherwise we would be dead. It was indeed chlorine gas that was created.

Btw. I had no real ratio or plan, the baking soda was just enough to keep the peroxide on the surface of the vinyl.

Crap we used was a lysol brand cleaner with bleach.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

You are still posting but how about the guy who cleaned the boat? Anybody seen him ?

Tired the peroxide and baking soda this weekend. It really worked well on some stubborn stains. I tried a couple of other treatments from the store and they didn't touch this. I worked it in with a dish brush on heavily textured vinyl and it was pretty fast with only light scrubbing. It was a bit messy but I put towels down and vacuumed up the baking soda leavings and it came out great.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Bunch of other crap