Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Amp/speaker wiring question

    Hi there,

    I have 4 tower speakers that are 200 watts each and 4 ohms each. My amp is a pioneer 5400. 760 Watts. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-540.../dp/B001NFFYWK

    Can you help me with the wiring please?

    Thanks!
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Wylie NC Area
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rjgaumer View Post
    Hi there,

    I have 4 tower speakers that are 200 watts each and 4 ohms each. My amp is a pioneer 5400. 760 Watts. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-540.../dp/B001NFFYWK

    Can you help me with the wiring please?

    Thanks!
    Easy, one pair wired in parallel per chnl.

  3. #3

    Default

    This is what I've had but for some reason, the amp is cutting out. seems like its being overloaded and going into protect mode maybe? Just started doing it. Any ideas?
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rjgaumer View Post
    This is what I've had but for some reason, the amp is cutting out. seems like its being overloaded and going into protect mode maybe? Just started doing it. Any ideas?
    Low voltage? Any settings changed? Do you have a bad voice coil? How hot is it? Frayed or damaged speaker wire shorting out anywhere?


    Lots of things can contribute to the situation you are experiencing.

    Since you say it just started, we might be able to rule out amp instability.. I personally do not like loading amplifiers down with "2-ohm" loads because most speakers are not 4-ohms, but something less. As a result when you have two in parallel, you don;t get 2-ohms, but sometihng less. It takes the amp below its rated stability and can run hot due to the high current demands. You still might try running the speakers in series to see what happens.

    Next thing would be to listen to make sure all 4 speakers are playing, and that each of the four have all their drivers functioning. Inspect all the speaker wiring to make sure there is not a frayed end shorting to a terminal, or that the insulation is not cut and shorting anywhere. then go through your power wiring to make sure it is solid, with tight connections. Is your power wire sized properly, per the amp manufacturer recommendations? If you went with a smaller than recommended wire, you could be causing heat problems due to voltage drop.

    Have you checked your voltage? When the amp is running, turn it up and with your meter at the amp's power terminals, note the voltage. Try to get it to cut out, watching to see what the voltage does. You may have a battery down. You need to be above 11 volts for most amps to run and not shut down, and if you are dipping to 11 or below, you need to look at your battery.

    Finally, it may just be plain old-fashioned heat. We all know it is darned hot this year. Is your amp elevated off of its mounting surface so air can get all around it? Can air get to it, or are there lifejackets and other things in there next to it insulating it? See if there is anything you can do to improve air flow around the amp.

    Let us know.

    Phil
    Kicker

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks a ton for all that info man! Turns out it was a wire that freeyed (or however you spell it) and was shorting out inside the tower legs. All is good now except for this dang alternator whine! it Just started Today and has never done this. Any ideas? Both amps for the 4 rear cabin speakers as well as the amp for the tower speakers are whining. The 2 bow speakers powered off of the head unit are fine. so its not the head unit ground. I lost on this.

    Thanks
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rjgaumer View Post
    Thanks a ton for all that info man! Turns out it was a wire that freeyed (or however you spell it) and was shorting out inside the tower legs. All is good now except for this dang alternator whine! it Just started Today and has never done this. Any ideas? Both amps for the 4 rear cabin speakers as well as the amp for the tower speakers are whining. The 2 bow speakers powered off of the head unit are fine. so its not the head unit ground. I lost on this.

    Thanks
    rj-

    The bow speakers powered off of the head unit will not whine with a bad ground, so that is false security. The whine we get comes in on preamp connections between head and amp, so even a horribly-wired head unit often will not whine in speaekrs connected directly.

    Check to make sure the RCA cables are securely connected at both ends. Next check to make sure you have not messed with any ground connections for head unit or amp. See where you are. You may want to move your head unit power leads to the amplifier, it almost always leads to a quieter installation, but the suddenness of your problem points to you probably just pulling or messing and RCA connection up

    Phil
    Kicker.

  7. #7

    Default

    I took your advice on moving the head unit power lines to the amp diet. blocks and it works perfectly now. Thanks a ton for all the advice!
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •