Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread: Cheapo Amp Suggestions
03-08-2012, 12:00 PM #1
Cheapo Amp Suggestions
I am going to take everyones advice and get a cheapo amp to install with my Infinity Reference 612m which I got for Christmas. I say cheapo since I am runing out of my wifes patience for $$ spent on the boat. I am curious if folks have experience with any of
Kenwood Kac 8405: http://amzn.to/wJ5x4b
Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4: http://amzn.to/zbof0L
Sound Ordnance™ M-4075: http://bit.ly/w3VyPZ
Now.. some noob questions:
- I was assuming to not purchase a wiring kit, since I assume the boat wiring would be different lengths. Seem reasonable?
- Can I install the amp near the battery (front compartment, right next to the battery)? That would be easiest for wiring and would clean up the compartment a bit. I dont know if i need to worry about interference.
- I assume I should run new speaker wires to handle the increasd power to the speakers. Is that correct?
Thanks!2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM #2
You mean you Tell your wife about how much your Spending........LOL... We all go thru it, don't we. I buy a lot of good stuff cheap on E-bay and CL. Just saying get the most bang for your buck if your on a budget. I dont have experience with the amps you have listed. I do have a 9105 Kenwood for my subs. I have always used Kenwwod and had good experience with them.Rick
2002 Moomba Mobius V
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM #3
I believe I have the older version of that Kenwood (id have to really look at it) if you would be interested in it.
1. It seems to be easier to just figure out the wiring you need and run by a local installer and pic some up
2. Yep, you can install right next to each other. You will want to consider a fuse.
3. Probably not necessary since you aren't jumping up the power big time? Not sure what is currently installed.
^Quick answers as I didn't look up the products referenced. There may be other options to explore as well.2006 Supra 24SSV
03-08-2012, 01:13 PM #4
The KAC line is a pretty solid budget amp and way better than the off brand stuff. Check ebay for refurb/recertified Infinity Reference amps- nice deals sometimes and decent budget stuff. Most of the Rockford stuff is pretty reliable too.My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
2000 Outback LS (sold)
03-08-2012, 04:59 PM #5
I've had really good luck with the kicker ZX line.-Mark
14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.
"Hey you only live once"
03-08-2012, 06:33 PM #6Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2009
- Wausau, WI
Since HiFi Sound Connection came up, I have to mention that I had a bad experience with them and would not recomend them. I ordered direct off thier website, they listed items they dont have in stock, then wont refund for backorder item, no refund for returned item, poor customer service-only contact by email or sit on hold for a long time. I ended up going through my credit card to stop payment on them. This incident took place about 1 year ago. Maybe things have changed but Buyer Beware.
If looking for another possible retailer, check out soniceletronix.com. I have used them, and no problems and prices seem good.
No experience with the amplifiers listed. Had Rockford Fosgate back in the 90's, were good back then.Matt
2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer