Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Jabsco Ballast King

Some of you may have noticed that Jabsco came out with a faster pump, the "Ballast King" which is rated at 960 GPH, compared to the Ballast Puppy which is 540. In my 2013 Mojo, I have a bow sack piggybacked onto my factory bow ballast, which means the front sac takes a few extra minutes to fill or empty compared to my rears. I thought a nice upgrade would be to replace my factory center pump with a ballast king and hopefully all three will be done filling in roughly the same amount of time.

One problem... it seems that the control module doesn't like the amount of amps that the new one draws and it won't turn it on. The Ballast Puppy draws 11.5 compared to 19 for the Ballast King. I tried trouble shooting to see if it was something else, but everything checks out.... the pump works fine when touched directly to a battery. I unplugged the pumps and switched them around. All three switches will run any of the pumps, and none of the three will start the new one.

Any one have any ideas? I'm thinking I will either need a new control module, or it will need to be reprogrammed (if possible). Another option may be the addition of a relay between the control module and the pump. Would that work?

Bottom line is, this pump is not simply "plug and play" on Moomba systems. At least not on a 2013 Mojo. Does anyone know if they have changed the module on the newer boats? Any and all comments welcome!
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5

I think a Relay would solve your problem, that additional amp draw is huge!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450

I second dusty.

2016 Moomba Craz
    Gunmetal W/ flake
    Atomic Orange Accent
    Black Deck and Hull

Can either of you explain to me exactly how I would wire one in to get it to work? I get the concept, but I need details on exactly what part (s) I need and how to put it in place.
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5

Tifton,GA Lake Blackshear, and Lake Cheehaw

You use your existing power wire that goes to your current pump as a trigger or ignition wire to the relay, then you will have to run a new power wire to relay and ground. A 5 or 4 pole relay is rate for 30 amps so you will be fine there. Then you run a wire to your new pump from the relay that only pulls power from the newly ran power wire and viola you have a switched relay that doesn't over load the module.
    2015 Supra SG 450 Fire Red Metallic
    Wetsounds and MMATS
    2015 Mojo
    2014 LSV
    2006 Tahoe Q4sf

This help?

A simple relay like this will work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS12...tomotive+relay
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450

If you want to use a relay, I would recommend an ignition protected (aka "marine" rated) if you are putting the relay in any confined airspace that could trap fuel vapor (bilge, engine compartment, lockers), not just a standard automotive model. These are exactly the types of sparking devices that you should be concerned about being "marine" rated. If I remember correctly, any of the Cole Hersee "sealed" relays are ignition protected. I think I bought some for about $3 each.

This is a cheap experiment but it's just that, an experiment. The controller may not like the 0.1-0.2A relay current any better than the 20A of the new pump. Maybe it's only monitoring it for over-current protection (short circuit or stalled pump) and it will work. In my homemade monitor solution, I monitor current because a drop in current indicates a pump with no load, meaning it is running dry and I turn it off. If the factory system does anything like this, putting a relay in there wouldn't work. It's still a good experiment and I'd try it but I'm not 100% sure that it will work.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    If you want to use a relay, I would recommend an ignition protected (aka "marine" rated) if you are putting the relay in any confined airspace that could trap fuel vapor (bilge, engine compartment, lockers), not just a standard automotive model. These are exactly the types of sparking devices that you should be concerned about being "marine" rated. If I remember correctly, any of the Cole Hersee "sealed" relays are ignition protected. I think I bought some for about $3 each.

This is a cheap experiment but it's just that, an experiment. The controller may not like the 0.1-0.2A relay current any better than the 20A of the new pump. Maybe it's only monitoring it for over-current protection (short circuit or stalled pump) and it will work. In my homemade monitor solution, I monitor current because a drop in current indicates a pump with no load, meaning it is running dry and I turn it off. If the factory system does anything like this, putting a relay in there wouldn't work. It's still a good experiment and I'd try it but I'm not 100% sure that it will work.
    ooh! Damn good point on the ignition protection.

I'm pretty sure the factory system does monitor the load as well, so you might be right, it might not work at all.

Do any of the Moomba insiders on here know if there is an updated control box? Or if this one can be modified? I bet it has printed circuit boards in there that won't allow modifications, but I don't know.
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5

Just skimming over this, so please forgive if this has been answered.

Is this used a reversible pump for filling and draining? If so, how are you going to reverse the polarity with a single relay?

MLA does have a good point.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold