Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I'm new here and don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if the symtoms listed in your quote are usually caused by water in the gas.

    I purchased a 97 Moomba Boomerang in the middle of the summer for what I thought was a good price.

    Ran fine on the hose in the guys driveway, but would barely start when I got it home. I had a friend, who is a former marine mechanic rebuild the carb. When he took it off there was a gasket missing, and the high speed screw was completely closed. We also found ewater in the gas. I syphoned the water/gas out of the tank, and added dry gas, but it still doesn't idle, and sometimes puts out black smoke. It also sounds like it is backfiring through the carb when running close to WOT. I just had it winterized, but am trying to figure out where to start next spring in getting it running right. My regular marina specializes in outboards, and I've heard some stories that doesn't make me want to take this inboard to them, since their shop rate(like most marinas) is so high.

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by hclymer4 View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words guys! Great advice Maxpower. I pumped what was originally in the tank out and let me tell you... it was bad. Dark brown full of water. After that I filled it up with about 6 gallons of fresh gas and added water remover treatment. Let it sit for a few days, gave the boat a good shaking on the trailer to try and agitate and sediment in there. I syphoned out those 6 gallons and they looked overall pretty good. When I had originally got the motor running in the driveway with a fake-a-lake we had bypassed the fuel tank and simply ran the fuel line into a nice fresh portable gallon of gas. On the way to the lake we connected the fuel line back to the tank and filled it up. Upon the initial start the motor ran awful. Black smoke, choking out, and barely idling. My thoughts are that it had to burn the reminisce of crappy fuel that was still in the lines out because after about 1 minute of that it was like a light switch and ran perfectly. You could just tell that it has gotten a taste of the new gas. So hopefully thats the end of my gas worries.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    11,330

    Default

    Start with your friend. That sounds like your best shot.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlton Oregon
    Posts
    6,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGhost View Post
    I'm new here and don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if the symtoms listed in your quote are usually caused by water in the gas.

    I purchased a 97 Moomba Boomerang in the middle of the summer for what I thought was a good price.

    Ran fine on the hose in the guys driveway, but would barely start when I got it home. I had a friend, who is a former marine mechanic rebuild the carb. When he took it off there was a gasket missing, and the high speed screw was completely closed. We also found ewater in the gas. I syphoned the water/gas out of the tank, and added dry gas, but it still doesn't idle, and sometimes puts out black smoke. It also sounds like it is backfiring through the carb when running close to WOT. I just had it winterized, but am trying to figure out where to start next spring in getting it running right. My regular marina specializes in outboards, and I've heard some stories that doesn't make me want to take this inboard to them, since their shop rate(like most marinas) is so high.

    Thanks
    Im not a huge fan in Carb rebuilding, its a lost art form in the automotive world and a lot of guys think they can do it and cant. I for one feel that most of the time if the guy isnt at least 60 he is BSing you on being a card rebuild expert LOL.

    Anyhow seriously, buy anew Carb. Its like 500 bucks, no issues then and put it on.

    Sounds like a timming issue if its back firing threw the carb at full throttle. Sounds like it isnt advnacing enough, might look into the Distributor and check the timming advance springs and weights to make sure everything is clean and working smoothly.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    Exile ZLD
    6 SX65M Cabins
    6 XM9 Towers
    1 XI Big 15 Woofer in a custom Fiberglass box
    1 XI 1K Harpoon
    2 XI 800.4
    1 XI 2500.1
    2 Interstate 2400U 6V Golf Cart Batterties
    Custom 1 Off Evolution Cover

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lake Houston
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Im not a huge fan in Carb rebuilding, its a lost art form in the automotive world and a lot of guys think they can do it and cant. I for one feel that most of the time if the guy isnt at least 60 he is BSing you on being a card rebuild expert LOL.

    Anyhow seriously, buy anew Carb. Its like 500 bucks, no issues then and put it on.

    Sounds like a timming issue if its back firing threw the carb at full throttle. Sounds like it isnt advnacing enough, might look into the Distributor and check the timming advance springs and weights to make sure everything is clean and working smoothly.
    You need to RETARD the timing, not advance. If the Carb is backfiring at WOT then the spark plug is firing while the intake valve is still open. Mike probably just said it backwards but no blowing up engines around here lol
    Last edited by lewisb13; 10-28-2012 at 11:34 PM.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks for the replies.

    Figured the timing was part of the problem, but we didn't have timing light.

    I'm thinking the electronic choke might be part of the black smoke problem also.


    Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    You need to RETARD the timing, not advance. If the Carb is backfiring at WOT then the spark plug is firing while the intake valve is still open. Mike probably just said it backwards but no blowing up engines around here lol
    97 Moomba Boomerang

    Hydrostream Viking/2.5 Mercury

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota and Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Did you pull the distributor cap ? I just replaced mine on my 99 Mobius with 400 hours. The posts were severly corroded. So much so and so consistenly that if you did not know better you would swear that this is how they were supposed to look. Cap - rotor - plugs - and wires - just removing things from the equation. I also found that some (but not all) of the plugss were wrong. Not sure how that happened since I bought it with 30 hours and don't remember ever having the plugs done.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.
    http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/

    2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks, didn't check distributor cap, but did check the plugs and they all looked good.

    The boat has been winterized, so I'm just looking for iddeas on where to start in the spring.

    Sounds like a general tuneup may be inorder.




    Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    Did you pull the distributor cap ? I just replaced mine on my 99 Mobius with 400 hours. The posts were severly corroded. So much so and so consistenly that if you did not know better you would swear that this is how they were supposed to look. Cap - rotor - plugs - and wires - just removing things from the equation. I also found that some (but not all) of the plugss were wrong. Not sure how that happened since I bought it with 30 hours and don't remember ever having the plugs done.
    97 Moomba Boomerang

    Hydrostream Viking/2.5 Mercury

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •