Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    113

    Default PFD storage ideas/solutions

    It seems like space is always an issue on boats no matter the size, which has become worse since the addition of our son. Last season I instituted a one bag per female and no personal coolers rule to help accommodate the extra stuff associated with the baby. We usually have 6-8 adults on the boat per outing leaving storage limited.

    On to the question: I'm going to add a bow ballast bag under the front seats, which is where I currently store the anchor and extra PFD's (the cheap orange ones) to stay legal. Do you guys have any advice on where/how to relocate these so they aren't constantly in the way? Does anyone make really small PFD's that store easily and are coast guard approved? We seem to get "safety checked" at least once or twice a season. Any help is appreciated!
    2008 Outback V

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    4,038

    Default

    If you don't all wear them all the time or swim in them all the time you can probably get away with 2-3 vests that actually get worn. Then stow the others away in a compartment that is less accessible or used. I've found that, aside from the kids, we typically only use a few vests and just trade off for whoever is riding. The guys just swap, the girls just swap. That is considering you don't have a wide variety of "sizes of people" in your group.

    I stash my "only pull these out when we get checked" jackets up under the gunnels on the edges up front or behind the seat backs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

    2001 MobiusV

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Douglasville, GA
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    If you don't all wear them all the time or swim in them all the time you can probably get away with 2-3 vests that actually get worn. Then stow the others away in a compartment that is less accessible or used. I've found that, aside from the kids, we typically only use a few vests and just trade off for whoever is riding. The guys just swap, the girls just swap. That is considering you don't have a wide variety of "sizes of people" in your group.

    I stash my "only pull these out when we get checked" jackets up under the gunnels on the edges up front or behind the seat backs.
    Great information Berg!! But... in relations to this thread... What?! I don't think thats what he was looking for! hahaha!!

    I haven't found anything different than the same PFD's your referring to. However, you can store some under the captains chair. You have to stuff them in from the compartment behind it (I'm going to catch grief on that statement!). Gets tedious to get to, but... it works!
    Last edited by sicktc06; 04-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    4,038

    Default

    I answered part of it in between mixing my bloody mary's and scrambled eggs didn't I....?

    What about the inflatable ones? I'd bet they would be pretty compact, but I think some of the fancier ones that self-inflate expire because of the CO2 canister.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

    2001 MobiusV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    4,150

    Default

    i throw them in the rear lockers on top of the ballast bags. all personal items go behind the observer seat, shows go behind the driver and anchor under the driver seat
    David

    2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon, Exile SM600.1 , Exile Xi800.4.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    4,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    i throw them in the rear lockers on top of the ballast bags. all personal items go behind the observer seat, shows go behind the driver and anchor under the driver seat
    I thought the "shows" go on up on the sun deck when after you put up the pole for the dancers?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

    2001 MobiusV

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    4,150

    Default PFD storage ideas/solutions

    Shoes*****. Typo!


    Sent from my iPhone
    David

    2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon, Exile SM600.1 , Exile Xi800.4.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Douglasville, GA
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I thought the "shows" go on up on the sun deck when after you put up the pole for the dancers?
    It's an Instapole. Just add water.
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snellville, GA & Lake Sinclair
    Posts
    7,007

    Default

    I like going to the shoe show!


    and, once again, a thread has gone horribly off track . . . .
    Drew
    New ride: 2012 Mojo
    Old ride: 2008 OBV

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    s.e. washington state
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    The PFDs by law need to be easily accessable. You will probably get by with a warning if they are not. Just make sure the throwable is accessable.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •