Results 1 to 10 of 15
Thread: 94 Boom's Trailer Build Thread
06-17-2013, 01:00 PM #1
94 Boom's Trailer Build ThreadMy Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
2000 Outback LS (sold)
06-17-2013, 01:05 PM #2
06-17-2013, 01:07 PM #3
06-17-2013, 01:08 PM #4
06-17-2013, 01:10 PM #5
06-17-2013, 01:11 PM #6
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM #7
06-17-2013, 01:15 PM #8
06-17-2013, 01:19 PM #9
I miss riding in my buddies 'rang. fun fast boats..'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten
06-17-2013, 06:43 PM #10Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2013
- Orillia, Ontario< Canada
Hi: First let me introduce myself and give a brief history of my boating. My name is Brian, and I have a disease there is no known cure for; boating. My first boat was a 8ft seaflea with a 6hp Chrysler when I was 10 yrs old, then I moved up to 12 ft TNT with a 20 hp Merc. My Dad had a v-drive flatbottom with a 427 Chev in it. I love flatbottoms, as a matter a fact I race them now for about 20yrs, 19ft v-drive flatbottom with a 500cid alcohol injected Chev. A few years ago I bought a ski boat with an 120hp outboard, we had hours of fun with it. I realized though that I needed to upgrade as the kids are getting bigger. I found this 94 Boomerang through a friend. The trailer that came with it was not meant for this boat. My first thought was to rework the existing trailer, but after looking at it closer I decided I would be farther ahead to start from new.
So this brings us to the build of the new trailer. I wanted tandem axle so ordered 2 new axles through my supplier, bought 4 pieces of 2x3x.125 wall tubing, 1 piece of 2x2 angle. The 2x2 angle was used to mount the spring hangars to and then bolted to the 2x3 tubing. This would allow me to move the axles if I didn't get the placement right. I added on platforms or steps to stand on.
I made it as a bunk trailer, I prefer bunk for this style of boat This is just my opinion and not necessarily true. The bunks were made of 2x4 and 2x8 I made the trailer long enough that the swim platform and rudder are fully on the trailer. The bunks are carpeted and under the carpet I put a layer of 1/4" polyurethane foam for a little cushioning. In order to get the bunks set nice I first leveled the boat on stands then rolled the new trailer under it and jacked and leveled it then set the bunks. Took a few hrs and a lot of head scratching but it worked out pretty good in the end. Also on the bunks I used a router to put a rectangular slot in the wood, then welded bolts to .125" steel. This way the I didn't have the issue of the carriage bolts turning in the wood.
The fenders I purchased where way to long so I cut 7 1/2" inches out of the length and then welded them back together.
All welds on the top of the trailer or were visible were ground smooth before painting. I used an epoxy primer first then used a Tremclad type of paint, reduced it and added hardener to it. I have wanted to try this on a trailer but didn't want to do it on a customers trailer in case it didn't work. There are 1/4" holes drilled in all tubes to ensure drainage.
The lighting is all LED. Each connection is soldered and shrink wrapped. I hate having issues with wiring and lights. They are all run into a junction box and the 7 wire goes to the front of the trailer.
Of course there are things I did wrong or don't like and I will fix them over the summer, but the most important thing is to go to the lake and have fun. Which is what we did this weekend for the first time.
Any questions or comments please feel free to post.
Last edited by 94Boom; 06-17-2013 at 06:46 PM.