Results 1 to 10 of 16

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    27

    Default Question - 2010 OBV ballast setup for surfing...

    I got questions, and I know this place has answers...

    (My 2010 OBV has the Gravity I ballast system for starters.)

    This photo from the "Moomba" flicker page shows a 2013 Outback V with a wave that looks like what I need. I assume that the 2013 is virtually unchanged from my 2010, not considering the tower and a few cosmetics. If this was a factory photo shoot, then I am hoping someone has info.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/moombaboats/7874608560/

    Can someone tell me EXACTLY how this boat was set-up in this photo?

    Stock Gravity III?
    Additional?
    Details?

    Thanks!
    ~M.
    2010 Outback V

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlton Oregon
    Posts
    6,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquavette View Post
    I got questions, and I know this place has answers...

    (My 2010 OBV has the Gravity I ballast system for starters.)

    This photo from the "Moomba" flicker page shows a 2013 Outback V with a wave that looks like what I need. I assume that the 2013 is virtually unchanged from my 2010, not considering the tower and a few cosmetics. If this was a factory photo shoot, then I am hoping someone has info.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/moombaboats/7874608560/

    Can someone tell me EXACTLY how this boat was set-up in this photo?

    Stock Gravity III?
    Additional?
    Details?

    Thanks!
    ~M.
    Ohh dont get me started on Factory Advertisment photos, and real world setups...

    You wont find any place that gives you factory set up when they do photos.
    Exp,

    Moomba Mondo, look at the surf pics, its sunk almost to the rub rail for the surfing pics yet the boat only comes with 650 rear, and 500 hard tank. NO WAY is that boat running stock. Its most likly running a 1500 rear, 500 hard tank and a 650 bow but thats what they do for photo shoots.

    Just like you see all these pro riders in the photo shoots, the boats arent factory set up making those waves most of the time.

    In my Mojo i run 3K and the Moomba is under water, but my rub rail is still out, and NO WAY can you have people pilled in on the Non surf side of the Goofy wave and it be clean...

    OK sorry back to topic,

    I would have to lean pretty heavily to setting your boat up this way, if you really want a hard core Regular surf wave.

    1100 rear,
    hard tank full
    650 IBS
    to start..
    Possible to run 300lbs in the goofy side to keep the rear of the boat a lettle deeper but level in the water.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    Exile ZLD
    6 SX65M Cabins
    6 XM9 Towers
    1 XI Big 15 Woofer in a custom Fiberglass box
    1 XI 1K Harpoon
    2 XI 800.4
    1 XI 2500.1
    2 Interstate 2400U 6V Golf Cart Batterties
    Custom 1 Off Evolution Cover

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Understood. No where near factory. Should have guessed.

    But I must qualify, I am looking for a good clean wave, not necessarily "hard core".

    I am also guessing adding a "factory style" 400lb bag to each rear locker won't get me anything good?
    (2013 OBV's have a hard tank?)

    Then what I have read here from most newer OBV owners is to start here:

    Center ski locker factory 400 bag full. (Gravity I.)
    750 bag full on surfside.
    Empty locker opposite.
    Wakeplate up.
    10mph.

    Should I even buy a bag for the opposite locker?

    To further complicate things... I ride goofy, on a Ronix Duke (the shorter one.) I'm 6'-0" at about 210lbs.

    Mainly just trying to determine what bags to buy for the rear lockers. (Got the pump as a gift.)
    Not interested in dunking the nose with an IBS.
    Any just want to surf.

    Last edited by aquavette; 07-19-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    2010 Outback V

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlton Oregon
    Posts
    6,008

    Default

    If you really just want a good clean wave a 750 will get you there with the factory up front.

    I am not positive but I'm pretty sure all new Moomba's have gone to the 500 hard tank up front.
    I dont think any Moomba line has the Hard Tank rears, technically only the Supra SA has a hard tank rears, but Supra is moving to hard tank rear in time. These tanks are only 200lbs so its not a lot..

    Honestly if your buying Bags, buy 1100, its only a few bucks more then the 750s and the extra weight never hurts.
    I would also buy 2 just so that when you get friends out and they want to surf on reg you can accomidate them.

    Another idea for surfing if you dont want to do a IBS is pick up a used 400 bag off the classified section for 75 bucks and use it up front when you want to surf. 400 up front wont dunk your nose.

    Yes your speed is good to start with, you might try 10.5-10.8 if your not running as much nose weight, this will flaten and lengthen the wave a bit. With a 750-1100 in the rear corner you will have a big tall short wave, also lower the wake plate as much as you can with the wave still clean, this will lengthen the pocket a lot too.

    I unfortunatly have to make Reg and Goofy work because im reg and Claudia is goofy LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    Exile ZLD
    6 SX65M Cabins
    6 XM9 Towers
    1 XI Big 15 Woofer in a custom Fiberglass box
    1 XI 1K Harpoon
    2 XI 800.4
    1 XI 2500.1
    2 Interstate 2400U 6V Golf Cart Batterties
    Custom 1 Off Evolution Cover

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    If you really just want a good clean wave a 750 will get you there with the factory up front.

    I am not positive but I'm pretty sure all new Moomba's have gone to the 500 hard tank up front.
    I dont think any Moomba line has the Hard Tank rears, technically only the Supra SA has a hard tank rears, but Supra is moving to hard tank rear in time. These tanks are only 200lbs so its not a lot..

    Honestly if your buying Bags, buy 1100, its only a few bucks more then the 750s and the extra weight never hurts.
    I would also buy 2 just so that when you get friends out and they want to surf on reg you can accomidate them.

    Another idea for surfing if you dont want to do a IBS is pick up a used 400 bag off the classified section for 75 bucks and use it up front when you want to surf. 400 up front wont dunk your nose.

    Yes your speed is good to start with, you might try 10.5-10.8 if your not running as much nose weight, this will flaten and lengthen the wave a bit. With a 750-1100 in the rear corner you will have a big tall short wave, also lower the wake plate as much as you can with the wave still clean, this will lengthen the pocket a lot too.

    I unfortunatly have to make Reg and Goofy work because im reg and Claudia is goofy LOL
    So as a starting point I should:

    Fill my stock center 400lb. bag.
    Throw a full 750lb. in the starboard side rear locker.
    Start at 10.5 to 10.8 mph using a small amount of wake plate to extend the wave.
    Should I put any weight at all in the port side rear locker?

    (I have to measure to see if a 750 will even fit in the rear of an OBV.)

    Likely to be a driver only, but if I have passengers, where should I start with them? Port or starboard side?

    Thanks again...
    Last edited by aquavette; 07-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    2010 Outback V

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlton Oregon
    Posts
    6,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquavette View Post
    So as a starting point I should:

    Fill my stock center 400lb. bag.
    Throw a full 750lb. in the starboard side rear locker.
    Start at 10.5 to 10.8 mph using a small amount of wake plate to extend the wave.
    Should I put any weight at all in the port side rear locker?

    (I have to measure to see if a 750 will even fit in the rear of an OBV.)

    Likely to be a driver only, but if I have passengers, where should I start with them? Port or starboard side?

    Thanks again...
    Generally my findings are No weight on Port side when surfing Starbord. THe prop rotation is fighting the Starboard side so any off set weight will wash your wave a bit.

    You can add weight or people to the port side if you have too but normally you wont want to do that.

    Watch this little clip i made, its behind my Mojo but the principles are the same.
    Im talking about speed and your wave, but this will be the exact same thing you see if you have too much weight on your Port side when surfing as well.

    http://vimeo.com/63587764
    Last edited by mmandley; 07-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    Exile ZLD
    6 SX65M Cabins
    6 XM9 Towers
    1 XI Big 15 Woofer in a custom Fiberglass box
    1 XI 1K Harpoon
    2 XI 800.4
    1 XI 2500.1
    2 Interstate 2400U 6V Golf Cart Batterties
    Custom 1 Off Evolution Cover

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •