Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Tough Decision

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    423

    Default Tough Decision

    Been recently thinking about selling my LSV. I love my boat and boating, but this is the first year I've had it out less than 10 times and know next year will be about the same. Any pros and cons for those of you who sold their boats?
    2010 Moomba LSV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    s.e. washington state
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    I have yet to get out with my boat and I won't part with it. The decision to hang in there is I had orthoscopic surgery on my knee that isn't healing as fast as I thought so probably no water skiing this year. I'm single and who knows as I may find someone who enjoys boating and rejuvinate myself. The boat is into its 16th season and it doesn't depreciate much. I still do a week and a half boating vacation each year and I would miss that even without the skiing. I may be lucky to get 15 hours on it this year.

    I would think you would really miss the times you go out unless you have others to ride with or another activity to get you through the summer.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    De Pere WI
    Posts
    4,202

    Default

    I have thought a few times this year about selling it as I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it in the new home state, but haven't yet. it's a very long and tough decision. I have only put 3hrs on it this year and none skiing.
    in zabooda's case(making an assumption here) if it was paid for, selling would be an non issue and would not even think about it, but when there's payments involved, it factors more into the decision.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I have thought a few times this year about selling it as I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it in the new home state, but haven't yet. it's a very long and tough decision. I have only put 3hrs on it this year and none skiing.
    in zabooda's case(making an assumption here) if it was paid for, selling would be an non issue and would not even think about it, but when there's payments involved, it factors more into the decision.
    I got about two more years left and if I kept it I would probably pay it off next may
    2010 Moomba LSV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Byron, IL
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I grew up with a river in my back yard. Having a boat is part of my life and I am very passionate about it. I make a point of using my boat as much as possible each summer. I still dont get out as much as I like and even if I was only have to use the boat 1 time each year, that would be enough for me to justify keeping it. I dont want to miss on that one experience. The only time I think about selling my boat is if another one catches my eye that I would buy (hasnt happend since I got the Mojo). There are several events and opportunities that I pass up because I would rather spend time on the boat. I think the question is clear, if you are not passionate about it then sell it. You can buy another boat anytime. For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    "The Boomba" '12 Mojo 345HP

    Tow Rig: '08 Duramax

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BWeber View Post
    I grew up with a river in my back yard. Having a boat is part of my life and I am very passionate about it. I make a point of using my boat as much as possible each summer. I still dont get out as much as I like and even if I was only have to use the boat 1 time each year, that would be enough for me to justify keeping it. I dont want to miss on that one experience. The only time I think about selling my boat is if another one catches my eye that I would buy (hasnt happend since I got the Mojo). There are several events and opportunities that I pass up because I would rather spend time on the boat. I think the question is clear, if you are not passionate about it then sell it. You can buy another boat anytime. For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    How old are your kids, I have a 20 month old and one on the way. Seems harder to go out the younger they are.
    2010 Moomba LSV

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    4,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BWeber View Post
    For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    This, definitely this.


    My youngest were 3 and 4.5 when we got the boat. It's tougher to some degree when they are young, but it just keeps getting better the older they get.

    This is the first year since owning the boat that I've only been out twice and it's mid July. Yes it's killing me. Last summer I had probably been out a dozen times by now. Next summer it may be 2 dozen by this time - HOPEFULLY!

    For me personally, the boat is really my one and only big toy, happy place, oasis, etc. So any time is good time.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

    2001 MobiusV

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Amistad, TX
    Posts
    563

    Default Tough Decision

    Quote Originally Posted by BWeber View Post
    I grew up with a river in my back yard. Having a boat is part of my life and I am very passionate about it. I make a point of using my boat as much as possible each summer. I still dont get out as much as I like and even if I was only have to use the boat 1 time each year, that would be enough for me to justify keeping it. I dont want to miss on that one experience. The only time I think about selling my boat is if another one catches my eye that I would buy (hasnt happend since I got the Mojo). There are several events and opportunities that I pass up because I would rather spend time on the boat. I think the question is clear, if you are not passionate about it then sell it. You can buy another boat anytime. For me, I want my kids to grow up with the same memories and experiences that I had with a boat. I never plan to be without a boat, unless it becomes a financial burden.
    👆x2... My childhood/thoughts exactly
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

    I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    55

    Default Tough Decision

    Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    How old are your kids, I have a 20 month old and one on the way. Seems harder to go out the younger they are.
    My first boat was a 2001 champion fish/ski that I bought in March of 2006. At the time, my daughter was 4 months old. She grew up on that thing, and has loved boats ever since. We had twin girls in 2010, and with that many people it was hard to fit everybody on an 18' boat. The solution for us was easy - get a bigger boat. They were 21 months old when we bought the LSV last year, and they love it. All 3 of them can't wait anytime we are able to get out.
    Matt
    2012 LSV

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    Kids get bigger fast and will grow up loving the boat. Would have been awesome to have a paid for Moomba about the time the kid expenses started piling up. If you look at the cost of taking a few kids to the movies or a waterpark or amusement park or anywhere the boat is not that expensive. There is just nothing like it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •