Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tire Guy View Post
    Inside tire wear is definitely a sign of a bent spindle or axle. These often occur when your trailer slips off the end of the cement pad while pulling your loaded trailer out. The impact doesn't have to seem that hard to bend things a little. Once your tire has most of the weight on that inside edge, they don't last long before they fail.
    I'm sure this is true Peter, but it seems odd that the way it appears this more often than not happens with torsion axles on our Boatmate trailers. I had previous boats and trailers and never had an issue like this. I cannot specifically remember running my trailer off the end of a ramp or over anything else for that matter. I had the dealer check it as well after the first tire wore so quickly and they said it looked good.

    After 3 tires wearing crazy on the same side and swapping rims from side to side, I'm pretty sure it is definitely an issue with that side of my trailer. Just seems to coincidental that we all have this issue on torsion axles. Are they just more prone to being bent or out of alignment? They don't seem to have much alignment capabilities.
    2011 Mobius LSV

    Ron

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    3,950

    Default Had it with blowing tires

    Also if you back off the end of the ramp the trailer shouldn't have that much weight of the boat on it when pulling out until you get a few feet forward. The majority of the boat weight should be floating. Just don't think that they should be weak enough to bend in that situation unless they are stuck on the drop off and you are hammering the throttle


    Sent from my iPhone
    David

    2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM7, Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon, Exile SM600.1 , Exile Xi800.4.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Land O Lakes, Florida
    Posts
    5,706

    Default

    this thread is making me glad i got the spring axles this time, if it is truly a torsion issue
    Hey, Its Moomba time

    13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    this thread is making me glad i got the spring axles this time, if it is truly a torsion issue
    No kidding!! The only thing that may have "bumped" the spindles would be a bump in the road and I've hit nothing in the past 4 years that would be out of the normal when travelling. So I think it's a boatmate torsion issue myself. I don't follow any of the other trailer manufactures much either so can't tell if they have issues or not? I know Extreme Trailers make alot for the BU's but seems that it depends on where you live and local dealers too. Alot of the dealers use different brands in different markets! I'd be interested to know why dealers use what they use. I'm going to start asking more questions about the trailers as I shop for my next boat.
    2007 Moomba Outback - waiting for summer!

    Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rca View Post
    I'm sure this is true Peter, but it seems odd that the way it appears this more often than not happens with torsion axles on our Boatmate trailers. I had previous boats and trailers and never had an issue like this. I cannot specifically remember running my trailer off the end of a ramp or over anything else for that matter. I had the dealer check it as well after the first tire wore so quickly and they said it looked good.

    After 3 tires wearing crazy on the same side and swapping rims from side to side, I'm pretty sure it is definitely an issue with that side of my trailer. Just seems to coincidental that we all have this issue on torsion axles. Are they just more prone to being bent or out of alignment? They don't seem to have much alignment capabilities.
    In retrospect, my answer was too generalized. The inside tire wear is an overall alignment issue, whether from a bent spindle, damaged or poorly constructed tire, bent wheel or an overall alignment issue with the trailer. Boatmate trailers are definitely a high quality trailer and I don't specifically know of any alignment issues with them. Some of the smaller fishing boat trailers with solid axles are prone to getting a bow in their solid axle causing inside tire wear.

    When dealing with an issue that con't be caught by a dealer, it may be worth having a trailer checked by a good alignment shop. It doesn't take much of a change in camber (tire leaning in or out) to cause the tire edge wear.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Coming from the Mastercraft forum, I see plenty of tire issues on their torsion axle trailers as well. Very interesting.....
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 09-04-2013 at 05:23 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    I have a buddy with an RV trailer and it has torsion axles and he has had 0 issues. I think the problem with the trailers, especially tandem is the put two 3,500 lbs axles on there i believe. well on a top or bottom of a hill you can easily lift one axle off the ground, your 3500 lb axle now has 5000 lbs on it...they to run like dual 4500 lbs axles imo instead of putting juuust enough capacity to get by
    David

    2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM7, Exile SXT65Q, Exile XI12D, Exile Harpoon, Exile SM600.1 , Exile Xi800.4.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I have a buddy with an RV trailer and it has torsion axles and he has had 0 issues. I think the problem with the trailers, especially tandem is the put two 3,500 lbs axles on there i believe. well on a top or bottom of a hill you can easily lift one axle off the ground, your 3500 lb axle now has 5000 lbs on it...they to run like dual 4500 lbs axles imo instead of putting juuust enough capacity to get by
    When I ordered my boat, I had boatmate upgrade the axles by 1000# of capacity. They still twist in and out when you turn sharply at slow speed, but I wanted it for piece of mind so hopefully it pays off by way of no issues.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    114

    Default

    I don't think the issue is the ramp but more about curb hopping when going around corners.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snellville, GA & Lake Sinclair
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Had it with blowing tires

    Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    When I ordered my boat, I had boatmate upgrade the axles by 1000# of capacity. They still twist in and out when you turn sharply at slow speed, but I wanted it for piece of mind so hopefully it pays off by way of no issues.
    That was a great idea! Didn't even know you could do that.
    Drew
    New ride: 2012 Mojo
    Old ride: 2008 OBV

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •