Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Prop Dilemma

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    349

    Default Prop Dilemma

    I'm looking for an opinion here.

    I got my new prop today, an Acme 1617, and I now have a dilemma. With all of the prop carriage lately due to low lake levels, thus the reason for the replacement, I'm wondering if I should put this thing on and risk it. While my current prop is damaged, it is still useable.

    My wife says to wait until next season, but I hate to let something so shiny just sit in a box.
    Matt
    2012 LSV
    4 XM9 Towers
    Javelin & XM30.2
    Xi 12DVC Sub
    2 6V Golf Cart Batteries
    FAE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nokomis, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Prop Dilemma

    personally I'd put it on.... are you having any vibes from your currently damages prop? if so that isn't good for the boat to have those vibes...

    from Muh droid .....
    2014 Mondo on the way.... can't wait!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,543

    Default Prop Dilemma

    I'd rather risk the cost of a prop over the cost of damage to the drivetrain from a damaged prop.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    11,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    I'd rather risk the cost of a prop over the cost of damage to the drivetrain from a damaged prop.
    Duh! This is the A+ smart answer above.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    On a NorCal Lake
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    I'm looking for an opinion here.

    I got my new prop today, an Acme 1617, and I now have a dilemma. With all of the prop carriage lately due to low lake levels, thus the reason for the replacement, I'm wondering if I should put this thing on and risk it. While my current prop is damaged, it is still useable.

    My wife says to wait until next season, but I hate to let something so shiny just sit in a box.
    • How many more times are you going out this season?
    • How bad is your current prop? little nicks or bent?
    • How about sending that 1617 my way? (see how I slipped that in?)
    • How bad are the waters in the DFW area?


    Below is what my bent 1617 currently looks like


    Bent 1617 (3).jpgBent 1617 (4).jpgBent 1617 (2).jpg
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

    Eric.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    349

    Default Prop Dilemma

    The tip of one of the blades is a bit bent out of shape. I didn't really notice it at first, but it was obvious when I got under the boat & spun the prop. I'm leaving the house to go get it now from storage, I'll put the new one on tonight.

    Really I should've said I was looking for valid reasons to give the wife, and you guys have given them to me

    Our main lake is about 6' low. The strike happened at the dock. Now I just swim to/from the boat while we are at the ramp.
    Matt
    2012 LSV
    4 XM9 Towers
    Javelin & XM30.2
    Xi 12DVC Sub
    2 6V Golf Cart Batteries
    FAE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    On a NorCal Lake
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    ...Our main lake is about 6' low...
    6' low! My lake is about 80' down - no kidding!

    BTW, you will love that prop, no problems with fully loaded ballast. Have FUN!
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

    Eric.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    349

    Default Prop Dilemma

    At 6' low the main spots we play in avg 8' deep.

    Here is the prop. It took the blow torch to get it off, and it hit the retaining nut so hard that I about gave myself a concussion on the wake plate

    Matt
    2012 LSV
    4 XM9 Towers
    Javelin & XM30.2
    Xi 12DVC Sub
    2 6V Golf Cart Batteries
    FAE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kaukauna, WI - 3minutes from glass
    Posts
    1,698

    Default Re: Prop Dilemma

    Most of the water we boat in is only 6-8 feet lol

    Stay awesome!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - Waiting patiently for my build date.
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

    "Hey you only live once"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlton Oregon
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    I agree with the one above saying put the new prop on.

    If you know your prop is bent and you have a spare then you need to run the spare. Running a bent prop even if YOU dont feel the vibration is extra wear on the shaft seal, and transmission.

    Ship your old prop out and get it fixed.

    I am lucky as we have a couple excellent prop shops in town and i can get a 3 day turn around on my prop. I would like to have a spare and im thinking of buying another, just havnt bit the bullet, but as it gets closer and closer to my AZ Powell trip im thinking i should just do it. Really dont want to lose a prop and be done boating with a house boat LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    Exile ZLD
    6 SX65M Cabins
    6 XM9 Towers
    1 XI Big 15 Woofer in a custom Fiberglass box
    1 XI 1K Harpoon
    2 XI 800.4
    1 XI 2500.1
    2 Interstate 2400U 6V Golf Cart Batterties
    Custom 1 Off Evolution Cover

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •