Thread: New Head Unit

Default New Head Unit

What head unit do you guys recommended. I would want a side remote to place by the driver. I use my phone or ipod for music.

Currently i have the stock kendwood.

Appreciate any advice.
    05 Moomba LSV

Lots of discussion on this topic in the past. Are you strictly using the pod/phone for music and not the HU?

If so several have just gone to an EQ/zone control only (no HU) with the ipod direct into it or via BT.
    At the time it seemed like a good idea...

2001 MobiusV

Quote Originally Posted by redmondson View Post
    What head unit do you guys recommended. I would want a side remote to place by the driver. I use my phone or ipod for music.

Appreciate any advice.
    I just upgraded to this Kenwood unit KDC-BT558U. This had everything I wanted. so far sounds great. Works with both transom and driver mounted controls, has the pre-outs for both amps, even has a jack for a mic, which I don't use.
    2006 Mobius LSV
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2015 RAM 1500 Hemi - Tow Rig

I just tried to replace the stock Kenwood with a KMR-D558BT. It's the marine version. I can't get it to work with the drivers remote because of the wiring harness. The stock setup used a separate wire outide the harness. The stock setup is split into three other jacks that I don't know where to get and hookup. Any suggestions?
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by redmondson View Post

Appreciate any advice.
    I'm getting a Clarion M303 with a wireless "waterproof" remote (MF1) put in this week. It's not very expensive and provides lots of options (see links below).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z0TldKr...rion-M303.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020MF1/...n_mf1&skipvs=T
    2010 MOBIUS LSV

I'll be curious to see how you like that remote and how the range is. I run the same HU but have 2 wired remotes. Great setup - no complaints at all. Well except that the remotes require a pretty hefty hole so you better be absolutely sure you know where you want them mounted before you bust out the hole saw.
    At the time it seemed like a good idea...

2001 MobiusV