Default Some love for the Ronix Thrasher

I want to throw this up there because there is almost nothing in the way of reviews pretty much anywhere about this board.

My wife wanted a point and shoot board that she could just relax on and enjoy the ride. We also wanted an easier to use board that someone learning could really have a good chance at riding quickly. Everything else we have is skim style and takes a bit more skill to ride. Previous to that we used her brother's 6' 1" Ronix Duke. I am convinced you could put an anvil on that board and it would just cruise along. They don't make them any more so the search was on.

After a lot of searching I found the Ronix Marsh"Mellow" Thrasher surf style board. Did I mention I was on a budget? I ordered the longest version which came in at 5' 2". This was almost 1' shorter than the Duke but that had its own advantage. The Thrasher is much easier to get up on than the Duke which we nicked named "The Pig" but with much love. There is a ton of resistance on the Duke starting, so much so that my wife blew out her MCL at the beginning of last summer working it up. Not bashing the Duke, great board and a lot of fun.

My wife was able to get up without strain on the Thrasher and had a good time riding it. Two of our kids thought is was the greatest board in the world. They were able to get far back into the pocket, carve well and ride as long as they wanted. It is a point and shoot for them as it turned out with a lot of control. You can't whip it around like a skim but pretty close. This thing is super light. It weighs less than much shorter Tsunami which helps with being able to move it around easily. The front of the board has a really hard upward curve which makes it much tougher to nose in.

I found it was easy to do everything on including cruise. You had to stand much farther forward on the board with both feet compared to a skim board. If you were further back you would be pushed but there was no accelerator at all. Your front foot had to be pretty far forward to move the board forward with any speed or response but there was a good balance in the end. It isn't a fast board for us heavier people (175 lbs for me) but the kids at 130 lbs could do what they wanted on it with no effort. I will try it with the center fin removed and may gain some speed.

In the end it was a fun board to ride, worked great and is relaxing if that is what you want. We are all VERY happy with the purchase and would highly recommend it for anyone looking for the above. For myself I went back to my trusty CWB Tsunami and it's comparative squirrely ways but its what I like.

2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Bunch of other crap

We demo'd one of this summer and although I didnt ride it ... I heard great things from everyone who did. Even the guy who owns the surf shop tried it out and he was blown away.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Moomba Flow
    900# Sumo Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ 30.2 amp and MKII controller
    10" Rockford sub

I have not ridden the Mellow Thrasher but own the new Ronix Koal Longboard. I bought it because I'm a big guy and need a fast board. Not only do I love it but it has quickly become the favorite board in the boat by almost everyone. Even the more experienced guys on our lake love to ride it. It is super forgiving and yet can be pushed pretty hard.
    2015 Mondo - surf edition w/autoflow

That's the other reason we got it. My step brother is about 5' 11" and 260+ lbs and got this with him partially in mind. He got up on the Tsunami right away which was really impressive but it was a struggle to keep it going. I am hoping he will have an easier time on this one.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Bunch of other crap