Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Stephen, Mn
    Posts
    56

    Default Can I surf both sides with my LSV?

    I tried setting up my boat for some surfing this past weekend, but found I ride the right side of the wake, and my friend rides the left. I can ride both sides, but more comfortable on the right. I'm a newbie at this surfing, and didn't know what to expect, but after a day on the water wakeboarding, and surfing, I found I need to work more with the weight set up. All I had to start was my new 1100 bags in the rear, and of course the stock center. I didn't bring, or have any weight for the front and that made for a day of mediocre surfing for me and my buddy. Haha! Way to many "suds" on the wake. We had a blast regardless! ANYWAY, if I take my stock bags from the rear and put them up front, load them up, can I get a clean wake both sides? I didn't bring those stock bags cause I think those fittings in them are glued in and I cant find anyone yet that can hold the bag while I twist them off with a pipe wrench. Darn!!!!
    2009 Mobius LSV. 325hp Indmar Assault

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    4,114

    Default

    Search WakeMakers video on how to remove glued in fly-high fittings. If you torque on it too much you can destroy the bag. Also, DO NOT use a heat gun - too much. Hair dryer is plenty as I recently learned.

    Are you talking about surfing both sides at the same time?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

    2001 MobiusV

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Stephen, Mn
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Both sides same time, no. sounds fun though and maybe something to try. I'm talking about going back and forth between the two of us. Or is it worth the time to set up each side for our particular styles?
    2009 Mobius LSV. 325hp Indmar Assault

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Stephen, Mn
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Actually, yes. I myself would like to be able to ride both sides same time, now that I think of it. I haven't watched hardly any videos, but do guys transition from one side to the other regularly, or is this intended to be one sided sport? I kept transitioning from right to left this weekend looking for some good grip on the wake. It seemed like it would be fun if a guy could work both sides efficiently with good results.
    2009 Mobius LSV. 325hp Indmar Assault

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    4,114

    Default

    One word for you - FLOW.

    Either ride one side or the other unless you have some big 36ft cruiser that can throw a nice curl on both sides.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

    2001 MobiusV

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Clermont, Fl
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I can have two people surfing behind my boat at the same time (2009 OBV with 750's in the rear).

    Ain't no way I could go from left to right and back....but that would be fun!
    Ed Geary
    2009 Moomba Outback V
    Clermont, Fl

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Carlton Oregon
    Posts
    6,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer119 View Post
    I tried setting up my boat for some surfing this past weekend, but found I ride the right side of the wake, and my friend rides the left. I can ride both sides, but more comfortable on the right. I'm a newbie at this surfing, and didn't know what to expect, but after a day on the water wakeboarding, and surfing, I found I need to work more with the weight set up. All I had to start was my new 1100 bags in the rear, and of course the stock center. I didn't bring, or have any weight for the front and that made for a day of mediocre surfing for me and my buddy. Haha! Way to many "suds" on the wake. We had a blast regardless! ANYWAY, if I take my stock bags from the rear and put them up front, load them up, can I get a clean wake both sides? I didn't bring those stock bags cause I think those fittings in them are glued in and I cant find anyone yet that can hold the bag while I twist them off with a pipe wrench. Darn!!!!
    The boat will throw a good wave on goofy and Regular but it takes a lot more work on the goofy due to prop spin.

    On Goofy you will need the boat leaned over more, if your getting wash its because 1 your going to fast, to slow, or not leaned over. I know sounds finicky, well the Goofy is finicky.

    When you run 1100s in the rear of an LSV and only the 400 in the floor, you are over weighting it for surfing, yes you can surf it but the wave will be very tall and pretty short. For regular the speed is going to end up around 10.5 to 11 wake plate all the way up to 50% down.

    On goofy you will need the same weight but due to prop spin it wants more weight along the side of the boat. NO OFFSET at all or it will case washing.

    If you can get a IBS bag under the bow seats, or at least a 450 bag in the bow it will help a ton with length on your wave.

    This was my 08 LSV Goofy Wave

    1100 goofy rear
    400 under seats behind driver
    400 ski locker
    650 IBS
    2900 RPM <10mph>





    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    Exile ZLD
    6 SX65M Cabins
    6 XM9 Towers
    1 XI Big 15 Woofer in a custom Fiberglass box
    1 XI 1K Harpoon
    2 XI 800.4
    1 XI 2500.1
    2 Interstate 2400U 6V Golf Cart Batterties
    Custom 1 Off Evolution Cover

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    On goofy you will need the same weight but due to prop spin it wants more weight along the side of the boat. NO OFFSET at all or it will case washing.

    This was my 08 LSV Goofy Wave

    1100 goofy rear
    400 under seats behind driver
    400 ski locker
    650 IBS
    2900 RPM <10mph>





    Mike,
    First of all, those pictures are magazine worthy! Great goofy wave and great pics! I just found out that I have a goofy friend (in every sense of the word) and will be attempting to dial in a goofy wave on my 08 LSV. Just to be clear, when you said NO OFFSET weight, I'm assuming that means no ballast at all in the port locker? (unlike a regular wake where I'll fill the port locker and add a few hundred pounds to the starboard locker). I guess that also means no passengers on the port seats or observer seat? I have a similar set up to your old LSV, 1100#er's, ski locker, ibs, and will soon have a 750#er to fill to whatever capacity and move around. Oh yeah, how about wake plate position on goofy? Thanks bud
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Stephen, Mn
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Search WakeMakers video on how to remove glued in fly-high fittings. If you torque on it too much you can destroy the bag. Also, DO NOT use a heat gun - too much. Hair dryer is plenty as I recently learned.

    Are you talking about surfing both sides at the same time?
    I watched the video and I couldn't believe how nice that trick worked. Thanks for the heads up!! Now I have to get back to the lake, load up those bags and give surfing another try.
    2009 Mobius LSV. 325hp Indmar Assault

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •