Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '07 Outback vs. '07 Outback V

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and seriosly considering buying the new Outback V. This will be my first boat purchase although I have grown up/ been around boats for over 20 years. I have a few questions though before I make the plunge. I am a relatively aggressive slalom skiier although only open water (hardly any course time). My main question is if anyone knows how good the Outback V's wake is for slaloming. I typically ski about 30 mph. I realize the Outback direct drive would be a better ski boat but I like the family friendliness of the V- drive layout. I also would like to try wakeboarding and have crossover ability for when we have kids. The boat I am looking at (V-drive) has the hydraulic wake plate also. Is having this extra going to make much difference on this boat since it is already so small and lightweight? Also, a somewhat related question; with the ballast option, specifically the Gravity III, do you lose any storage space and if so are the ballasts removable? Thanks!

The Outback V is an excellent slalom v-drive. With the hydraulic wakeplate down, the wake gets pretty flat. Definitely get a wakeplate!

The Gravity III ballast is two bags on either side of the engine and a bag in the ski locker. All of these bags come out very easily. If you aren't going to be using a ballast system, take out all of these bags and turn the manual shut-off valve at the thru-hull pickup and you will be good to go.

Does a regular slalom ski (67"-68") fit in either of the rear compartments next to the engine on the Outback V? Or only wakeboards. Wasn't sure if the area was long enough to take a ski. Thanks.

Also, I was think the same thoughts about the OUtback V and slalom skiing. You think I won't regret the slalom skiing behind a V going 32 at 15 off?

The starboard locker has a pass-through to the next forward under-seat locker area so you can store a few skis in there, same as in the center ski-locker.

(Note: Full Ballast in either of these places makes this much harder to impossible.)

Oh, and 32 @ 15 off is the perfect speed/line length for the V-Drives. You behind the center spray, but have a nice tight flater wake.

Hope this helps,

Joe

It does. Thanks.

Waterdawg and Bla,
    The slalom wake behind the Outback V really starts to flatten out at 30mph. As others have stated... get the hydraulic wake plate it does make a difference. I run my plate almost all the way down and I typically ski at 32mph and the wake crossing is really quite nice. In our '05 Mobius LSV (same hull as the current Outback V) there is a pass thru in both the starboard and port side rear storage areas that will easily accommodate skis. I actually keep my slalom ski in the port side locker and we can still use the factory 3 bag ballast when we wakeboard. My slalom ski never leaves the boat! Let me know if you guys have any other questions. The Outback V is a great family boat!

Thanks for the input everyone. My wife and I did a demo run in the Outback V and really enjoyed it. After seeing the boats in person though, I think we are now leaning more toward the Mobius LS because of the higher freeboard (safer for the kids) and, because we have a pretty large lake, feel the Mobius would perform better in rough water. We still have to demo it though. Hopefully we can do that in a couple weeks. I will let you know what we decide. Again, thanks for all the great input. It has been very helpful.

If you like the V, but want the size of the LS, then get the LSV - outback or mobius - exact same hull as the LS (larger, and higher freeboard), but in a V-Drive model. Best of both worlds ! I LOVE mine. Worth the extra $ anyday for the ability to seat more people comfotably, and store everything. LS direct drive is not as family friendly.

-J

Hey Everybody,

Well, I am officially the proud new owner of an '07 Mobius LS. Went and did a demo in one we ordered and were very pleased. I was even brave and skied in WAY less than ideal conditions to make sure I liked the wake before commiting to buy (58 degree F water and more wind than I like on the lake). I had a wetsuit but it was still COLD! Anyway we got it totally loaded and a pretty good deal. Out the door price $42,000 with no payments or intrest till Sept. '07.

Brittany Blue
    Brittany Blue powder-coated Tower
    Gravity III Ballast System
    Hydraulic Wakeplate
    Perfect Pass
    Tower Bimini
    Depth Finder
    Heater
    Docking Lights
    Snap-down cover
    Pop-Up Cleats
    Transom & Driver remote for stereo

I will try and post some pictures in the next few days. Anyway, I really appreciate all of the advice and input from everyone. We are very pleased with our new boat. Now I only wish I didn't have to wait 4 more months to really start enjoying it!!!

You have got o get some pics real soon, I want to see how the powder coated tower looks on the boat! Congratulations!!!