Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dublin, CA
    Posts
    17

    Default FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) Installation & Rides

    All,

    I figured with the amount of people on here either just getting into or doing more of the wake surfing I'd put up some info on the FAE I just installed on our 07 Outback V!

    First off, Larry at FAE is extremely helpful!

    So total install time was approx 3 hours. Keep in mind that I measured and re-measured 3-4 times and took my time with each step, so most people would likely spend less time installing.

    The instructions that came with the unit are clear and provide plenty of insight into what you would expect during installation. I know that Larry is also looking for photos from people and is making a video of the installation soon.

    Once installed we took 'er out for our first session with it installed. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The noise reduction was amazing! I could tell the difference behind the boat as I never once smelled any exhaust! We spent 5 hours out on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday and not one time did anyone complain about exhaust. I HIGHLY recommend the FAE!!

    Here are a few pics of it installed. (note I havent installed the stainless steel covers on the all threads yet - Wanted to get out on the water!!)

    One final note..I didnt notice any effect on the performance of the boat or wake.

    Good luck and enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MeachDog; 08-20-2008 at 12:19 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    I just finished the install of my FAE on my 04 LSV also.....

    I had much difficulty initially with the FAE coming off of the exhaust outlets. After many conversations with Larry and much trial and error, I finally realized that I had the all-threads too vertical and when I raised the FAE with them, it was putting a backward pull on the unit where it was attached to the exhaust outlet. (my fae came off two different times)....was a pain.

    But finally last week I moved the all-threads to where they were slightly leaning towards the front of the boat at the top, and that took the backwards pressure off of the exhaust outlet and now I'm good.

    I hope that makes sense, because I've spent a good 20 or 30 hours messing with mine until I finally got it right.

    And, yes, now that I have it on right I love it! Very quiet and no CO!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Keuka Lake, NY
    Posts
    5,770

    Default

    not to be a smart a$$ where does the CO go, I have been to the web site for FAE and still don'r understand totally. Does it disappate in the water, engine wash or just disperse back further behind the boat say 20 ft to 30ft behind the intended surfer??
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless


    Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Schererville, IN
    Posts
    70

    Default

    The FAE looks good. Nice work.

    Not to rain on your parade but I noticed your rear straps attached to your swim platform. Are you sure that is strong enough? I only ask because there are a couple of threads here talking about swim platforms coming off.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    De Pere WI
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    have ridden behind a buddies tige and noticed the smell of exhaust. I have never noticed it behind our boat, but am running the 340hp ext/cat motor, so the cats must really work. aside from cost, I can't figure out why more engines don't come with them. probably just a matter of time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    210

    Default

    I could be wrong, but I was told by my dealer that from '08 on, all the SC boat engines will have the CAT, and you can't get one without it. Can anyone confirm this?
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    not to be a smart a$$ where does the CO go, I have been to the web site for FAE and still don'r understand totally. Does it disappate in the water, engine wash or just disperse back further behind the boat say 20 ft to 30ft behind the intended surfer??
    On the FAE website, they discuss this. According to their info, CO is 2.5% soluble in water. Meaning that it will combine with the O in the water and become CO2 (I am not sure how that helps). Then they claim by putting the exhaust behind the prop and forcing X times more water across the exhaust, that it (CO) all combines with the "free" O in the water. There are a few links on that site for studies which give actual numbers.

    I finished my measurements and sent them off yesterday. Hopefully they will have it built in short order. My only concern looking at your unit is the angle up. I know that it must be there for the trim tab (wake plate) to work, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for the water in the exhaust to travel up to get out, especially at idle and slow speeds.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

    2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csmsk View Post
    I could be wrong, but I was told by my dealer that from '08 on, all the SC boat engines will have the CAT, and you can't get one without it. Can anyone confirm this?
    My 08 (and most) do not have the CAT, every one delivered to CA does have the CAT.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

    2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Thanks for the clarification. That's where I'm at (CA), so it now makes sense why I was told that.
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dublin, CA
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NLindellDC View Post
    I just finished the install of my FAE on my 04 LSV also.....

    I had much difficulty initially with the FAE coming off of the exhaust outlets. After many conversations with Larry and much trial and error, I finally realized that I had the all-threads too vertical and when I raised the FAE with them, it was putting a backward pull on the unit where it was attached to the exhaust outlet. (my fae came off two different times)....was a pain.

    But finally last week I moved the all-threads to where they were slightly leaning towards the front of the boat at the top, and that took the backwards pressure off of the exhaust outlet and now I'm good.

    I hope that makes sense, because I've spent a good 20 or 30 hours messing with mine until I finally got it right.

    And, yes, now that I have it on right I love it! Very quiet and no CO!
    WOW, 30 hours! Thats a commitment!

    One thing I was sure to check and re-check was leveling the FAE from side to side and front to back relative to the exhaust outlets. I may have gotten a bit lucky. I only had one nut come loose on the first run and that was above the left welded mounting tube. No movement of the FAE otherwise. I would imagine it's always a good idea to check all are tight before each session.

    I plan to use the suggested medium strength thread lock on them. This should keep them from vibrating loose in the future. (Didnt have any during installation) I did make sure that I allowed 72 hours for the inserts to cure with Goop glue before continuing the installation. (Not needed for all installs).

    -J

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •