Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default drilling through carpet for ballast hose

I was going to add some custom fat sacs underneath my seats and wanted to drill (hole saw) a hole underneath the seat supports that sit perpindicular to the bow/stern line of the boat. It would be about a 1" hole that would allow a hose to pass through and connect one bag (the rear) to another so that they could both fill/empty off of the stock gravity ballast plumbing.

I was wondering if anyone has drilled through the carpet and how it reacts? (frays, unravels, or is fine?) I see the new 09's come with a hole precut and carpeted over already.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

John- sorry i just saw that all the photos in the other thread are gone but this is what i did.

dremil to cut with

cooler begining to comeout

rear gravity 3 bag under the seats- i plummed it in

rear surf bag and under seat bag filled iwth air for the photo
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

this is what it looks like all filled up

also put a 400lb bag on the seat

hope this helps with your mod
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I really can't wait to see this surf wake.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Still working on it, think i need more weight up front. Looked like the swim platform was still draggin in the water. Other issue i had was the lake level--its low
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

yep more up front-i would just take the sac i have on the seat and try it up front--still experamenting
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

You have 25 days to get it dialed in. I haven't even changed my oil yet, much less done anything about wake. I don't know if I'll even have one by 3/14. I did start cleaning yesterday and finished the sub and amp install though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    Exile Tunes
    PWI
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

25 days i wish--more like 4 days off. i need to get amp and tower speaker wires tidy'd up.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

Smile

Going back to you drilling through carpet. I've never made a hole that large through carpet but have done something similar on a much smaller size and asuming the carpet is mostly nylon you could try using a hole saw bit and heat the end and sear/melt the carpet ,like a doughnut hole then the carpet will not run when you very carefully drill through the carpet to make a nice clean hole.Just a thought.I've done something like this fastening a closet track over carpet and heat nails/screws so they don't snag and cause runs.Depends on the carpet by nylon melts quite easily. Very similar to heating the ends of a rope and twisting carefully in your fingers.

I would start the hole saw until it touches the carpet then score the carpet around the saw with a knife then continue drilling carefully. I've done that with no probs.